Franko's Maps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen the Franko's Maps in a number of dives shops on various islands. They look like a good reference for finding new dive sites that I haven't done before. The folded ones are suppose to be waterproof (not that I'd take it underwater, but that I wouldn't have to worry about it getting soaked by my dive gear in the car), according to their website.

Anyone have experience with them? Are they accurate as far as site descriptions and locations go? I'm thinking of mainly using them to find new shore dive locations.

They're very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen the Franko's Maps in a number of dives shops on various islands. They look like a good reference for finding new dive sites that I haven't done before. The folded ones are suppose to be waterproof (not that I'd take it underwater, but that I wouldn't have to worry about it getting soaked by my dive gear in the car), according to their website.

Anyone have experience with them? Are they accurate as far as site descriptions and locations go? I'm thinking of mainly using them to find new shore dive locations.

Franko's maps are fun, but not completely accurate when it comes to some details. For instance, I remember the Oahu map listed "angler's reef" in Maunalua Bay as a shore dive, which it absolutely isn't. That was a few years ago so maybe the newer editions are better.

However, that aside it's neat to see the popular dive spots put together on one map, especially a nice colorful waterproof one. I've found it's nice when going diving with visitors or new divers, since you can show them where all the various sites are and plan the day accordingly. So IMO it's worth the money. But it's wise to check with other divers before embarking on a trip to a new spot, in case there are safety concerns or other details that Franko might have missed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom