Frank Mundus, (Capt. Quint from Jaws)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Frank Mundus, who inspired the Captain Quint character in "Jaws," died Wednesday after a heart attack. A legendary shark fisherman, he was 82.

Frank was great company and a wonderful story teller ... and he the stories to tell. Despite Peter Benchley maintaining that Quint was a composite character, those of us who were around when Peter was collecting the material for Jaws never had one bit of doubt who Quint was. I was supposed to have dinner with Frank in a couple of weeks.

Frank lived with his wife Jeannette in Naalehu a few miles from me on the southern tip of the Big Island.

This was his second heart attack in four days. He suffered the earlier one Sept. 6 at Kona International Airport after coming back from Long Island.

I will miss him.

I saw a special with him awhile back. He really became what I consider to be a true conservationist with out becoming full goose bozo about it. Sorry to hear. Rest in Peace Frank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom