Frameless vs SubFrame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MP928

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am beginning to look for a new mask, and have only heard great things about Atomic masks. I was just wondering how the Frameless compared to the SubFrame. I currently own a Sherwood Magnum EX Purge Single Window Mask. I really like it, but I've noticed that it has a blind spot on either side. Also, there is always a small amount of water that gathers in the nose purge. This is why I decided to look for an alternate.

Also (this may be a pretty dumb question), but is there a functional difference between a mask with one single lens and two separate lenses, that makes one more advantageous than the other?

ANY input would be great!
Thanks very much!!!!

Functionally, there is really no difference. I just got the Atomic frameless mask and it is by far the best mask I have had. I had used a variety of low-volume masks and this one has the lowest volume and the absolute BEST peripheral vision. Can't say enough good things about it.

if you do not need prescription lenses go with the frameless

Originally, frameless masks were not well accepted with the exception of free divers among whom they caught on quickly. Scuba divers were using heavy, three pane things with purges, clear skirts and reinforcing members to hold the lenses. Until the foreign competitors began producing them, the frameless was offered only by Scubapro and was expensive and difficult to find. Thankfully, this changed as bubble divers began to accept the concept of a low volume, single lens design and companies like Promate began to offer really nice, cheap frameless designs. When my last Scubapro "Close Up" dual lens mask died in 1994, I took a chance on the Scubapro frameless at a ridiculous (to me) $85. After a few years, the lens separated from the skirt and I purchased a Promate which was identical to the SP but for a price of about $35. I now have two and use them exclusively. Without a separator between lenses, the single pane provides uninterrupted viewing for the spearfisherman; there is no problem with depth perception when scanning from side to side. Recently, Scubapro has been producing some new, low volume, two pane masks. This idea has been around a long time, since the Italians began producing them in the 1950's. The dual panes still seem to be a competitive solution for corrective lens users. If the frameless had not come along, that is what I probably would be using, or something similar like the inexpensive and useful two pane, black skirt produced by Apollo. As with any mask, keep an eye on the plastic buckles. My old Close Up had steel D rings and never failed.

Love my Oceanic Shadow. In fact I have 2 of them. I would always prefer frameless masks.

Would like to try the Atomic one but it just doesn't fit my face.

Have used a Sub-Frame for the last 4 dives. LOVE IT! I tried both before deciding on the Sub, due to the fit. To me, there was not much difference in view. I converted to black skirt from clear and will never go back.

I too dive the Atomic Subframe and agree that there isn't really a considerable difference in view between it and the frameless. They are both very low profile masks and offer exceptional views. I like the subframe because of how it fits and how it's built. It is a great mask and so long as it fits your noggin, you'll be very pleased with it.

Thanks so much for all the help!
I went to go to my nearest atomic dealer today (about an hour away), and the traffic was so bad i had to turn around! Now, i'll go first thing tomorrow! Going to try them both on for fit, and hopefully buy one of them!
Thanks again for all the input

Back
Top Bottom