Frameless mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucrtwf

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
I'm thinking about getting a new mask. I know I should go to the LDS and try on all models, but I was just wondering what the advantages are to the frameless models? They look as if they would be more comfortable, more adaptive to the contours of the face. My current mask gives me troubles as if it's pulling my nose "up" making it uncomfortable after a couple days of diving. Of course it felt fine when I bought it.....
Thanks in advance,
Tim

I am a huge fan of the ScubaPro frameless mask, which boasts robust and rugged construction, an unparalleled seal (on my face anyway)excellent feild of view and is extremely comfortable. The silicone utilized in the SP frameless has a feel and smell tht is didtinctly different than any other mask I've worn. (I love the smell of a brand new SP frameless!)There are some drawbacks though. One, they are pretty expensive. Two, in my experience there has been some issues with the skirt separating from the lens and developing a slow leak on some. The good news is, that if you get it from an authorized SP dealer, SP will replace any problem masks free of charge.

I also own an Atomic frameless mask, but I have found that the skirt is considerably thinner than the SP mask, and on days that I forget to shave and have to cinch the mask strap down tighter to effect a seal over the stubble, it collapses and becomes pretty uncomfortable. These masks are also very expensive. If you always shave this is a great mask.

There are a number of much less expensive knock off masks available, however, I'm pretty sure that the SP and Atomic frameless are uniquely manufactured. I do not have any experience with the less expensive masks, so I'm afraid I can't offer any insight as to whether or not the knock offs are any better or worse than the genuine articles.

7867829SCPMFLBK-resized200.jpg

The SP frameless.

1170824789.jpg

The Atomics​

I love the look of the low volume frameless masks, but they bite my face when the skirt is not angled enough.

The Shadow is similiar, I have had them both and keep coming back to my generic black cheap-o with the angled silicone skirt.

First, there aren't that many mask manufacturers and most "name brand" models are made by the same factories that make the knockoffs. In my experience, the knockoffs are just as good, maybe even better in the sense I don't know anyone who has had a problem with the skirt separating or leaking. Why pay big bucks for a name brand to deliver great customer service for a problem that shouldn't exist in the fist place?

As for the benefits, they are lighter and lower volume, seem to fit like a glove. Way better than the traditional bulky frames. They fold flat and make a great backup mask in a thigh pocket, and they are cheap. At least the knockoffs. I paid $29 for mine.

I have the Atomic framless mask, and love it. Never had any problems with it leaking around facial hair. the only negative I have found is that it takes a bit more care to make sure the seals are smooth when you put it under a hood. being less rigid, it seems that they like to curl under themselves a little bit. I paid around $80 for mine, but reefhound is correct. My other mask is a framed $25 job, When students are struggling with some of our name brand masks, Ill trade them my mask and tell them its top of the line, most of the time their problems go away. I could never tell the difference between it and a higher dollar mask.

Big fan of the Atomic frameless, and suggest that anyone looking for such a mask tries this one out for themselves.

Note: The Atomic masks come in two different sizes, so if you try one and it DOESN'T fit try the other size.

I know several people that have the Trident mask and love it. One even owns a SP mask and he says that he can't tell the difference...other than several $$.

promate also makes a SP knock-off that was a testers' choice in scuba diving mag (if you care). i got one of those for $30 plus an atomic frameless. love both and won't go back to a frame.

Atomics frameless ..hands down ...I bought a second as my backup. A tank of gasoline is 75 bucks and lasts a week ..a 1/2 cart of groceries is 75 bucks and lasts four days... lunch at MC Donalds, Burger King, El Polo Loco, Carls Jr., Soup Plantation, your local deli ...is 8 bucks do it 5 days/week and your half way to a real mask like the Atomics frameless. I've owned just about every type and can tell you one thing and one thing only ...Atomics Frameless!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom