Frameless Circular Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you start talking Ukraine and Russia and all that you loose me--lol. There is some unobtanium Japanese stuff also. The link I posted had some in silicone. Frankly, and David will probably have a different thought, but there are no oval masks made today that are the equal of those made when they were the "In Thing" in scuba masks. N

Actually, I agree with you, N, about the better quality of many vintage masks compared with what is available today in the way of oval masks. That's why I hang on to my navy blue British-made Typhoon mask from the 1960s. Its stainless-steel screw and frame are as rust-free as ever and the seal remains perfect for my facial dimensions.

I agree too that it would be great to have a professional-standard oval mask, made by one of today's manufacturers from the best materials. In the absence of such a product, I'm content to snorkel with my Escualo and Sommap masks, which may not be up to the standard of past models, but still suit me much better than today's offerings in the way of silicone-skirted masks. I don't have allergies and I don't like the "feel" of silicone, so I exercise my choice not to purchase a mask made from that material.

As for my reference to Russian and Ukrainian dive masks, it's by no means impossible to obtain gear from such countries, so long as you know somebody who can get it for you there. I've bought a pair of fins from Ukraine, using a contact from another forum, and I'm very happy with them. I won't settle for the plastic, silicone and vinyl products that pass for today's snorkelling gear, my hard-earned money goes to small companies abroad that make the kind of equipment I want.

Interesting you should mention Japan. Gull, the leading manufacturer of diving gear in that country, still makes one rubber mask with skirts in a colour other than black:

img44933504.jpg

It's still in their latest catalogue. There have been threads on Scubaboard about the non-availability of Gull products in the West and one or two contributors based in the Far East have offered to fulfil orders for Gull gear for contributors in western countries.

Actually, I agree with you, N, about the better quality of many vintage masks compared with what is available today in the way of oval masks. That's why I hang on to my navy blue British-made Typhoon mask from the 1960s. Its stainless-steel screw and frame are as rust-free as ever and the seal remains perfect for my facial dimensions.

I agree too that it would be great to have a professional-standard oval mask, made by one of today's manufacturers from the best materials. In the absence of such a product, I'm content to snorkel with my Escualo and Sommap masks, which may not be up to the standard of past models, but still suit me much better than today's offerings in the way of silicone-skirted masks. I don't have allergies and I don't like the "feel" of silicone, so I exercise my choice not to purchase a mask made from that material.

As for my reference to Russian and Ukrainian dive masks, it's by no means impossible to obtain gear from such countries, so long as you know somebody who can get it for you there. I've bought a pair of fins from Ukraine, using a contact from another forum, and I'm very happy with them. I won't settle for the plastic, silicone and vinyl products that pass for today's snorkelling gear, my hard-earned money goes to small companies abroad that make the kind of equipment I want.

Interesting you should mention Japan. Gull, the leading manufacturer of diving gear in that country, still makes one rubber mask with skirts in a colour other than black:

View attachment 54087

It's still in their latest catalogue. There have been threads on Scubaboard about the non-availability of Gull products in the West and one or two contributors based in the Far East have offered to fulfil orders for Gull gear for contributors in western countries.
now you mentioned it, I reckon I used to have a gull snorkel.... maybe somewhere in my kid's toys abyss.... living with the hope it'll surface one day

Back
Top Bottom