Four missing divers rescued - Sri Lanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
One SMB, no whistles, no mirrors. While the dive club looks for lessors to learn, they might consider DMs carrying inline whistles...

Luck Or Fortitude Saves Divers | The Sunday Leader
Four divers – diving for pleasure had a narrow escape and appear to have fortitude and a modicum of luck to thank for having lived through their ordeal, off the coast of Colombo this week.
The four divers - Patrice Germaine (37), Asmath Iqbal (31) and Naqeeb Hussain (35), all experienced divers, together with one of the club’s dive masters, Olivenso Almeida (35), took a trip out of the Colombo Divers dive club in Mount Lavinia last Sunday morning and went diving at the well-known ‘Car Wreck’ dive site off Galle Face. The weather was good and the sea warm: Oli and Asmuth spurned the use of a wet suit wearing only t-shirt and shorts for the swim. They set off just after 8.15 in the morning and arrived at the dive site at about 9.45 a.m.
The divers said that the visit to the wreck was very good and nothing abnormal happened until, after 35 minutes, they returned to the surface. The boat was about 25 to 30 metres away but the divers could not attract the attention of the boatman and within about 10 minutes the strong current took them sufficiently far away that they could no longer see the boat. The current was so strong that they could not swim against it and hope to reach the boat. Following a brief discussion it was agreed that the dive master, Oli, as the strongest swimmer would swim for the boat. Tying the three divers together and leaving them his Surface Marker Buoy (SMB), Oli swam for the boat. He never returned.
The three remaining divers tried to swim for the shore, or at least get close to the shore from where they hoped to attract the attention of a boat. The current seemed to be swirling about and preventing them from making any real progress. Armed only with the inflatable SMB as a means of attracting attention, the three men tried in vain to signal passing ships and fishing vessels.
The hours passed slowly, but not once did any of the men give thought that they may not be rescued. In retrospect the fact that all four were physically fit clearly paid a significant role in their survival – having eventually spent 23 hours in the balmy waters of the Indian Ocean. The sea was quite choppy and in order to prevent ingesting the salty sea water, which would have caused dehydration and vomiting, they took the novel approach of reversing their dive masks and placing it over their mouth and nose. This enabled them to breathe but without swallowing the water.
As the afternoon wore on, it became apparent that they would not be able to swim ashore. The three men, Naqeeb, Asmath, and Patrice, made a strong attempt to get within sight of land and away from the main shipping lanes; this reasoned, rational, presence of mind greatly helped the three men in their survival. With the onset of night all sense of distance disappeared and they were unable to tell if a fishing boat was 25 meters away, or 400 meters! Taking turns to get a little sleep, 10 minutes at a time, the night dragged on and despite all their efforts the twinkling lights of land was lost from sight. The night also brought the cold, the sea remained warm but the air cooled off and the swimmers, especially Naqeeb who was only wearing a t-shirt, felt the chill of the wind as they bobbed on the surface of the water; while resting, the three men huddled together for warmth and to get a few minutes sleep.
At dawn, a concerted effort was made to swim east, towards the rising sun. After about 3 to 3 ½ hours they had still not got land in sight and they had not seen any boats; it was at this point that some doubt was voiced, but quickly hushed by the other members of the group who put absolute trust in their own ability to survive and the blessing of God. Not 15 minutes later, at 9.15 a.m. they saw a small fishing vessel, waved the SMB and the fisherman waved back. The relief and joy was unbounded. Almost as soon as they were on board the fishing boat it seemed like the sea was littered with other boats, which seemed incongruous when they had not seen any during the previous 3 hours.
On reaching land, the beach at Mount Lavinia, they were greeted by a huge crowd of about 200 people there to see them home safe. Only at this point did they realise the huge rescue operation that had been mounted in order to find them. Two of the group were whisked away to spend the night in hospital, Asmath had to go visit his father who lives locally, and see his wife and eighteen month old son; sufficiently fortified he found no reason to go visit the hospital.
Later it was learned that Oli the dive master, had not been able to swim to the boat and had also been cast adrift separate from the group. He had been rescued about 5 minutes before these three.
The Colombo Dive Club has been at great pains to learn from what went wrong with this trip. Was the weather too bad to go diving – no, was the sea current unusually strong – no, was the dive master inexperienced – no, and yet something did go wrong. Was the boatman keeping a good lookout for the returning divers – clearly not, why were the divers unable to attract the attention of the boatman – a good question for shout and wave as they could, they could not gain his attention before losing sight of the boat. The dive club are taking unprecedented steps to ensure the safety of future divers, each diver will be supplied with an SMB, previously only the dive master carried one, and they will have a whistle that may be used to signal the boatman.
Diving is said to be far safer than crossing the Galle Road – and a growth area in the tourism industry. The narrow escape of the ‘Famous Four’ from Colombo has however highlighted the need for the right equipment, good training, and an experienced guide or dive master.

Wow, I'm glad to see a happy outcome. The wife and I recently added dive alerts to our whistles, mirrors and DSMBs. An ounce of prevention...

I learn something in most every posting here. I knew that even in warm waters, you'll develop a chill without a wetsuit. I've been carrying a small mirror and a whistle in my BC but I'll add another whistle (just in case I lose my first one) and start carrying my SMB.

I learn something in most every posting here. I knew that even in warm waters, you'll develop a chill without a wetsuit. I've been carrying a small mirror and a whistle in my BC but I'll add another whistle (just in case I lose my first one) and start carrying my SMB.
Like Kooz above, I carry a Storm Whistle in case I don't have enough tank air left for some reason to use my Dive Alert, but the inline whistle has much bigger range. Duck your head in the water before using. :eek:

rjk75, you can attach the whistle to your inflator hose with a zip tie. Mine has stayed on for many years, no problem. I also have a Scuba Alert air-integrated horn for above/below water and a SMB bungied on my backplate and they're not going anywhere either.

A whistle likely would have prevented their ordeal and failing getting the attention of the bubblewatcher who wasn't paying attention, it could have signalled the other boats that came into the area.

I find this sometimes happens when divers surface earlier than they are expected to and the crew isn't always watching for them yet. The bubblewatcher(s) need to be watching and listening the whole time in case a dive is aborted early or there is trouble.

Myself, my husband and our divemaster were once afloat in the Caribbean. We were downwind from the dive boat and had no SMB. I did have my dive alert, but being downwind it was not heard. Finally we saw the boat zig zagging looking for us. I though to use the strobe on my camera at the same time as the Dive Alert. We attracted attention and they quickly picked us up. We were never in any danger and could have easily made it to a beach, but the diveboat would have had problems reaching us there. We now always take my SMB.

Mirrors are very effective. I carry a mirror and SMB. Did have an epirb too but flooded it. Not really convinced by whistles altho am probably wrong.

I've had a whistle attached with a tie-wrap to my BC for the longest time but that Dive-Alert is on my immediate shopping list along with a CO monitor after the New Year. I guess the other thing to learn from this incident is try to keep your bearings underwater. Too often I've lazily drifted with the current only to regret it later.

I'm glad this ended well for all concerned.

Through my own fault I once surfaced way away from the boat and from where the boat expected me to be. I was downwind & down current in quite choppy seas and though I'd had a DSMB bobbing on the surface for ten minutes the boat hadn't seen it. It was only after the boat had picked up the other divers and there were lots more eyes searching that I was spotted. By the time I was picked up I hadn't seen land for 20 minutes and hadn't seen the boat for 15, until it finally hove into view. To be seen I inflated my DSMB board hard and waved it above my head. If I'd had my flag with me (I rarely carry it) that might have helped. All in all I was on the surface by myself for 40 minutes. Even though it's a fairly busy dive area I hadn't seen any other boats. I was actually glad I was drifting away from land, as we have a barrier reef made of very sharp coral and I've no desire to be swept onto it.

My contingency plan if this happens at dusk is to hold my DSMB erect above my head and shine my lamp up inside it. It's remarkable how much more visible this makes it.

A full night at sea has got to be scary.

Sounds like many of us carry safety gear. I too carry a Dive Alert clipped off in my pocket, along with a signal mirror, and a regular whistle. At this point I also hope if ever needed my Nautilus Lifeline could call in help quickly, and not have us adrift overnight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom