Four lost, one saved - Pointe-a-Pierre, Trinidad and Tobago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<couldn't happen with properly run operation"

Actually we've seen reports of similar sucked into a pipe type accidents here in US at powerplants. Apparently it takes a surprising amount of coordination to not turn on the intake early.

The 50 feet into the pipeline guy...gee nightmares forever

<couldn't happen with properly run operation"

Actually we've seen reports of similar sucked into a pipe type accidents here in US at powerplants. Apparently it takes a surprising amount of coordination to not turn on the intake early.

The 50 feet into the pipeline guy...gee nightmares forever
I used to operate hydro power plants for 19 years. We had full lock out processes with locks on all control points. Our dive contractor was Global Diving and Salvage, top notch outfit with a great safety record. We never had an incident.

Coincidentally one of my hunting partners was a commercial diver for 20 years. All of his work was on Mid Columbia hydro projects. When I first heard that he had been a commercial diver I asked him to show me his fingers to see if he had them all. He did. When I marveled at this his comment was, "I got really good at learning to use the word "No"".

My son is a DIT graduate and worked in the industry for about 5 years, with a short stint at Global. Other than that all of the places he worked were more sketchy including the one I will not name that is based in Alaska and on a contract job working on an earthen dam in Idaho.

You can do it right, or not. Sometimes the problem is with management, other times it might be individual.

I live on Bonaire and have seen commercial diving barges at work here. Even on shallow pier repairs a lot of the time they are on surface fed air and have comms. Trinidad and Tobago are a bit behind the curve it seems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom