Four hits count em

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike:
What is PFO?

Very very basic terms. Whilst in the womb we all have a hole in the heart. Once we are born that hole heals up in the majority of cases. However one in ten peoples hole does not heal leading to a PFO. This can cause problems for a diver in regards to DCI and to frequent fliers in respect to DVT.

Incredibly simplistic definition which I am sure a real doctor will roll his eyes up at

Opss sorry....did not realise El Orns already answered this one

How long did you have the pain in your ankles, that you just had to deal with?
And did you use you computer with all those other dives? Any problems with it?

Sorry to hear about your brush with DCI. Glad to see some of your conclusions related to trusting your instincts. You really build a case for a personal inventory prior to diving.

One thing to consider is that your computer was telling you something, I don't recall you mentioning if you skipped your deco obligation or met it. Also, did you have your computer checked by the manufacturer? Was it the same one you used for subsequent dives including the 60 minute 70' profiles?

"North of wheat fields, south of glaciers, east of the Atlantic, west of the Pacific." Must put you somewhere in Scandinavia or Siberia??? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

DiveMonkeys:
"North of wheat fields, south of glaciers, east of the Atlantic, west of the Pacific." Must put you somewhere in Scandinavia or Siberia??? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

or hawaii.

Im sorry to hear of your experience. I agree with you that you shoudl always trust your instinct and see a doc knowledgable in hyperbaric medicine with specific information pertaining to diving injuries.

its been said 3-4 times already, but get checked for PFO. Ive been checked because i had a suspected DVT after a few long haul flights. It was nice having the peice of mind. and if they do find anything, I assume it can be fixed?

Diving Doc, it may be a rudimentary explination, but part of being a good instructor in anything is taking something techincal like that and dumming it down enough so everyone else (like me :D) can understand it.

beejw:
Diving Doc, it may be a rudimentary explination, but part of being a good instructor in anything is taking something techincal like that and dumming it down enough so everyone else (like me :D) can understand it.

Well thank you kind sire............dumming down is what im good at:D

Seadreamer:
September 2006. On a flight to a Tropical Third-World country on the Sulu Sea, I developed shingles. A doctor in the Big City prescribed Acyclovir. The next day, I flew to a Wreck Diving Mecca and enjoyed some awesome wreck diving, to about 100 feet.

Why are you diving with a brand new case of shingles? Having known people suffereing with that, I know it can take two YEARS to get fully over the symptoms of that disease, and having seen the suffering of people with it, I cannot even consider trying to put a wetsuit on over that and get in salt water.

Get over the shingles first, then start diving again. I think maybe most of your symptoms have more to do with shingles than with DCI.

Ken

I just re-read your post...i dont know if it was mentioned before (didnt see it), but you might be alergic to neoprene? just another excuse to get a (trilam or vulcrub) dry suit :D

I know an instructor who's allergic to neoprene and dives a drysuit all the time for that reason. He'll turn beat red in one dive, the other kicker is chlorine in pools gets him. He's the only guy in a pool with a drysuit on to avoid chlorine.

In any event, post back and good luck. PS, diving shallow is just as fun as diving deeper so maybe you'll still be fine. I know a lady in KC who took a severe hit and can only dive shallow now, she's still happy diving that way because she's still diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom