Four Frog Fish Family Free-swimming on a Frigate..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Four Frog Fish Family Free-swimming on a Frigate..

(okay.. not so much a Frigate.. but rather LCU West.. but that doesn't start with "F" =)

Dove Black-Rock and LCU West with bcyber over the weekend..
Cool formations at Black-Rock.. and Gabe "signed" he saw a big-giant shark.. we didn't see it :wink:
Our highlight came on LCU West when we saw not one, not two, not even three Frog Fish..
we saw FOUR! and they were free-swimming!

Video of Four Frog-fish Free-swimming LCU-West - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Four_Frogfish.JPG

I once thought all Frog Fish were born clean/bright yellow..
However, these juvi's hangin' out with mama already had identical camo as their parents.. I suppose there must be different sub-species.. with a variety of genetic skins?

Wow!! For as many times as I am in the water I have never seen anything like that. One free swimming maybe but not four! That is one amazing video clip. Thanks for sharing...:)

Dang, you are blessed.:lotsalove:

That's a great video. I would suspect that there is some interest in mating going on there. I don't think it's Mama and her little ones in tow. They all go for the large one, I'll bet that's the female and the smaller ones are all males.

The most I've seen free swimming is two...a few times over the last two months at Five Caves and Makena Landing. They really are better at just sitting still!

Wow - that is amazing to see - I've never seen more than one swimming, and he/she was more "scooting" along the bottom. Didn't realize they ever swam free like that.

Thanks for sharing.

Aloha, Tim

thanks all!
this was only the second time I've seen Frog Fish free-swimming..

the first was at Lanai Lookout late September..
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/204762-frog-fish-free-swimming-lanai-lookout.html

.. I would suspect that there is some interest in mating going on there. I don't think it's Mama and her little ones in tow. They all go for the large one, I'll bet that's the female and the smaller ones are all males.

..They really are better at just sitting still!
agreed.. they are very good at being stationary and blending in..
either with a coral bed.. or in this most recent case, looking like a section of a rusty wreck.
especially "the mama".. she was actually a very dark maroon rusty color.

and, now that you mentioned it, you may be right about the Discovery Channel action :wink:

think Doug hit the head on nail there.....it was a Harem :D Cool clip, thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom