Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

News report that she was found "about 30 nautical miles from where she was last reported seen". Also: "It is understood all the victims have diving licenses, while Grodem is a certified Dive Master."

The boat captain has been detained after testing positive for drugs.

No diving and snorkelling activities allowed in Mersing.

The meth problem is rampant here amongst lower income workers. Sadly. I just sacked a caretaker for consuming meth on my property last week.

So possibly a case of the boat skipper not looking out for them or moving away from the area while high on meth…

Attachments

• A2D0257A-55E9-442B-8A3D-C2FEF0F2D1CA.png
    A2D0257A-55E9-442B-8A3D-C2FEF0F2D1CA.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 51
I hope the other three divers are found soon.

I hope the other three divers are found soon.
Not good they were not found today...they can't be far outside the search grids.

Good news is the area is busy with ships so hopefully someone finds/spots them & picks them up

Not good they were not found today...they can't be far outside the search grids.

Good news is the area is busy with ships so hopefully someone finds/spots them & picks them up
I would think that the first thing to do if lost is to stay together? Two nights of drifting is going to be hell on the students, but there is still a chance that they can be saved. I remember a group lost off of Komodo Island years ago that I felt were hopeless after a few days, but they were found throwing rocks to keep the dragons at bay later.

I would think that the first thing to do if lost is to stay together? Two nights of drifting is going to be hell on the students, but there is still a chance that they can be saved. I remember a group lost off of Komodo Island years ago that I felt were hopeless after a few days, but they were found throwing rocks to keep the dragons at bay later.

Missing in water is different than on land.

Swimming against currents is a no-go.

It must have been extremely frustrating for the girl, not being able to get the boatcrew's attention.

There are always unpredictable situations, where the currents take you away from the divesite. Experienced that a couple of times in the Maldives.
Always saw the boatcrew waving back, so I could focus on keeping the group together and the SMB upright.
The open ocean can be a lonely place when you see the last island disappearing over the horizon...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom