Found MY anchor in the Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belzelbub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This anchor has a bit of a back story. Probably 6 years ago, I found a galvanized plow anchor in the Gulf. My buddy and I brought it up (same buddy in the video), cleaned it up and I put it on the bow of my boat and moved the Danforth to backup duty. A couple of years ago, I lost that plow in the Keys. Put the Danforth back on, and we dove the area in hopes of finding it. After a few dives with no luck, we spotted a plow anchor that looked like it had been down a while. Completely covered in growth. I brought it up, cleaned it a bit, and realized this was an upgrade. 22 lb Lewmar Stainless plow with the right type of galvanized chain that works in my windlass.

Used it for several years. Always holding well. On May 4th of this year, after a couple dives, the rode broke on retrieval. I checked it during the dive, and didn't think retrieval was going to be an issue. I would just have to drive forward a bit and it should easily come loose. But that wasn't the case. Line snapped right at the chain to line splice. My marker hadn't been retrieved yet, so I just marked the location on my plotter so I could come back and get it.

Over Memorial Day weekend, I went to the spot I marked and did a couple dives. Came up with plenty of Hogfish, but no anchor. Posted in this thread: https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/got-some-dinner-yesterday.646790/

Thought a bit about it and decided to try a different location. This time, I used the exit location that my Garmin Descent had marked from the dives where we lost the anchor. Don't know why I didn't think about it the first time, but this time the GPS location really paid off. As I'm getting to about 1000 psi on the first dive, I spot something a little different color in the sand. As I get closer, I realize it's my anchor. Got it off the bottom and onto the rocks so it wouldn't get hung up, tied a line, and shot a DSMB. So happy to have this one back. Oh, and brought a few fish for dinner as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom