Found at Shaw's Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nannymouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just after we turned our first dive at Shaw's Cove (West Point) we came across a statue of Venus, with a plate that read Shelly ( or Ashley) of Shaw's.

Is there anyone else who is familiar with this statue?
How long has it been there?
Who is Ashley (or Shelly)?

?????:confused:

Yep, she's been there for a little while. Kinda neat IMHO. :)

I think some clever folk just dropped her in the water there...

1200590614_55cd52f085.jpg

The vis was not optimum, and the surge and other factors kept me from studying the statue as well as I would have liked. I am fairly sure that I can find her again. She didn't look to be in as good shape as the photo, I think that her face has been damaged.

I have got to get a digital camera...

So if I'm getting the story straight it sounds like she was there, then taken away, then put back?

My picture above was taken just days after she was first put down there, so I'm sure she looks quite different now as marine life has probably grown all over her...

It's been a while since I've been out to visit Shelly. I'll have to make it out there again soon. :)

I talked to another diver today who said that he heard that the statue used to be much farther out from the rocks. She is now about 20 to 30 feet from the rocks, about even with the farthest wash rock. It would make sense that if she was damaged by a boat anchor, those who repaired her put her closer to the rock.

cool!!

Shelley was mysteriously broken last year, then mysteriously repaired. If you look closely, you can see all the areas where she's been epoxied back together, though maybe somewhat hidden these days by her moss coat. She's in relatively the same place as she always was. Nobody knows with certainty how she was broken, but from what I recall, the majority opinion was vandalism. I was fortunate to have stumbled across Shelley right after she was originally placed in Shaw's cove, back when she was shiny & new.

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom