Fossils - Peace River & Venice beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptEsteban

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for info , tips, etc., about diving/snorkeling the Peace River for fossils, etc. I have a large jonboat to use & need hotel recommendations, boat ramp info as well. I am a licensed Capt. & all of us are very experienced " black water" divers. I also, take people out on trips to swim with the manatees, dive the Rainbow River , Withlacoochee River , Silver River , sightseeing, photo trips. I can arrange Cooper River, South Carolina dive trips. Maybe we can exchange some trips ,ideas, etc.

Water is very low right now. What type of motor will you be using? Give me more details on where you might want to go or stay? Is it mainly the peace you would like to do?

Here are some hotel/motels in the Arcadia area (proximate to the Peace River Campground). The info is from 2006 as I was researching to bring my non-camping wife to the annual scubaboard fossiling camparee:
------------ HOTEL/MOTELS ------------
HOLIDAY INN
2709 SE HIGHWAY 70, ARCADIA, FL 34266 - 6.50 mi
(863) 494-5900

Best Western Arcadia Inn
504 S Brevard Ave, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 0.70 mi
(863) 494-4884

Desoto Motel
1021 N Brevard Ave, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 0.90 mi
(863) 494-2992

Economy Inn
324 S Brevard Ave, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 0.60 mi
(863) 494-2915

------------ RV PARKS ------------
Lettuce Lake Travel Resort
8644 SW Reese St, Arcadia, FL 34269 - 12.40 mi
(863) 494-6057

Tobys RV Resort
3550 NE Highway 70, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 3.10 mi
(863) 494-1744

Little Willies RV Resort
5905 NE Cubitis Ave, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 5.10 mi
(863) 494-2717

CROSS CREEK COUNTY CLUB GOLF & RV RESORT
6837 NE CUBITIS AVE, ARCADIA, FL 34266 - 6.30 mi
(863) 494-7300

Last edited:
I usually stay in the Motel 6 - it is reasonable and alright, although I wouldn't take my wife there (last trip I found a black widow spider on the door to my room, but they're all over Florida). My daughter stays there with me when she comes along diving, but she's a bit of a tomboy (found her in the garage two years ago with a 5' garden snake she'd cornered and caught).
Anyway...
Motel 6
(941) 485-8255
281 US Highway 41 Byp N,
Venice FL

In one of the threads I think someone mentioned staying over by the marina at a country club or resort for around $99 per night - anyone know more about this?

also, local house to rent - never been, sounds decent:
Venice Shark Tooth Rental

Also there are some rental condos over by Golden Beach, but I don't have the info anymore. Google it though.

For eats, try Anita's family restaurant and the two ice cream places on the main drag - excellent ice cream!

There are a couple of locations in and around Arcadia where you can go fossiling (Peace River Campground is one, although the service there for 'outsiders' is pretty dismal) and there is at least one public park off the bridge on the main E/W road.

There is a public park off the bridge East of Wauchula about 25 miles north of Arcadia where the parking seems relatively safe. Also check out Zolfo Springs about 20 miles North of Arcadia. I'd suggest a well traveled area as you will likely be out of line-of-sight with your vehicle and thieves can take advantage. We pretty much look for a bridge with cars parked around it and wade to a likely spot (find the nearest bend in the river and start sifting the pebbly patches). Bring a long shovel and sifter of 1/4" - 1/2" mesh. It's easier to work in pairs. If you're alone, tether your sifter to your waist and zip-tie pool floaties to each side of your sifter like so: 0[]0

BTW, kayaks are very nice for this sort of work - bring tethers to tie up gear and tie off yaks to shore brush as the current can pull them away quickly.

Watch for water moccasins under the rocks and overhangs along the bank - we've found a few here and there.

Last edited:
Here's a list of spots where you can launch a boat and easily access the river.

Peace River

Thanks for the tips. I can bring a wide 16ft jonboat with shallow running 25hp motor. We will be interested in diving/snorkeling/wading anywhere in the area for fossils, not just the Peace River. I have heard some bad reports about the hospitality at the campground & will avoid there. We will stay in a motel, probably in Arcadia. Any other tips & suggestions will be appreciated. Some of us just want to see the area, & seem to be a little " burned-out " on the Cooper River diving, although it is always productive. Also, a few friends have been diving offshore N.C. finding the big sharks teeth & have info, if anyone is interested.

I am a commercial diver/ deadhead logger. My company salvages old growth timber from the river bottoms. We are currently working on the suwannee river but are thinking of trying the peace river. Anyone seen any sunkin timber on their dives? How is the vis on this river. The suwannee usually runs about 0-6" of vis so we are all experienced "braille divers"! Please let me know.

There are logs in the river. Lots after hurricane charlie. Not sure what size your looking for? I dive the peace river a lot in the winter times and tell you most are small and water logged. Most of the time the boaters will cut them so that they can get up and down river. Most places in river are very shallow and not like up north. There a few pockets the key word here is few. If you have any questions about the peace I know the peace river like my back yard. Or you can drop me a PM

The suwannee usually runs about 0-6" of vis so we are all experienced "braille divers"! Please let me know.[/QUOTE]

i have several dives on the suwannee and the viz is ususally at least 10-20 feet. have you found any paleo points under any of those logs??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom