Fossilized or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all, I found a tooth off Pensacola Beach and was wondering if it was a fossil or a fresh shed. Is there anyway to tell? I know fossilized come in all different colors.

The white tooth in the pic is the one I just found. The dark tooth is a golden Beach tooth from Venice.

Thanks for your answers.
15354048697531525733646.jpg

Well, since venice beach is a known fossil area, the teeth are most likely fossil. Also, new teeth are almost always white including the root, with some exceptions. Fossil teeth can be found in all colors. I would guess since the root of your white tooth is brown, it is a fossil... and of course it was found at a fossil beach!

We find a number of fresh teeth in NC most, but not all, sand tigers. Besides the white they do not have that rounded looking root. Your white one does not look fresh to me.

Thanks guys. If it is a fossil tooth then it is the third one I've found in the Pensacola area. It may be because of the Beach renourishment we've had done here bringing in teeth from deeper waters.

I saw a video a while back where a kid found a 2" mako tooth at Navarre Beach.

Well, since venice beach is a known fossil area, the teeth are most likely fossil. Also, new teeth are almost always white including the root, with some exceptions. Fossil teeth can be found in all colors. I would guess since the root of your white tooth is brown, it is a fossil... and of course it was found at a fossil beach!

Thanks. Actually only the dark tooth was found in Venice the white one was found at Pensacola.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom