Fossil hunting questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chief

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could someone please PM me with any helpful information for on Fossil hunting in N.C. I will be staying in Topsail Island for the week of July 14th and would love to see what this is all about. Have done the simple beach combing but would like to be a little more adventurous. I also dive but rather not do a charter do to time and money. Like the do it yourself thing.

Is there any shore diving in the area also.

Thanks Chief.

I've done a few fossil dive in NC. All of them have been on the ledge which is several hour boat ride off shore. Great diving on good days, OK diving on bad days but the ride out will get you.

IMHO the ledge is the best place to find large megalodon teeth in the country. I've done Venice and the diving is easy and you will find lots of small teeth, but nothing comparable to the number of large teeth you can find offshore in NC.

Good luck.

I was headed out this weekend to hunt Meg teeth on the ledge, but the dive was over booked. I have a chest cold anyway - but I will be rescheduling for ASAP. Looking forward to it..

Anyone dived SC (Cooper River)? I know the vis is kinda limited, but I hear they find good teeth there as well.

If you're in Topsail you may have to drive to Wilmington to get a dive charter. Aquatic Safaris is a pretty decent bunch if they have space available. Check them out and have a good trip.

I haven't been to the Cooper in quite a while. I prefer diving it in the winter since the viz seems to be a bit better, usually a murky 2-3 feet. Plus the gators aren't in the water. Check with "Off the Wall Diving" and see if they have anything going out. Do a search on the Cooper River here on Scubaboard. You'll be surprised on how much you'll find.

Back
Top Bottom