Fossil Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dead shark hunter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I do not know if this appropriate or not, but I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread with contact info or interested parties for fossil diving / black river diving excursions.

I'm Jason, I am an experienced diver, I live in Florida but will happily travel east coast in search of fossils and teeth. I am particularly interested in exploring new spots.

veinguy@att.net

Well during the winter I tend to do most of my shark tooth hunting on the internet from a chair in my home. I know there are some guys around that dive cold water, but I am not one of them.

Here is a U-Tube video I found, of a Red Megalodon found in the Ace Basin area of South Carolina.

The ACE Basin is formed by the confluence of the Ashepoo, Combahee and Edisto Rivers

For those of you new to the fossil game, finding this would be like hitting a grand slam in tied game, bottom of the 9th, in the world series.

I can't wait to go fossil/treasure hunting, seems like it'd be tons of fun.

The fossil bug is addictive. If the bug bites you, your a gone-er. The elusiveness of fossils is something that makes it fun. If they were in abundance, no one would give a flip.

Actually fossils are located everywhere in the coastal areas of South Carolina. The catch is, there is a layer of earth, sometimes called "overburden", on top of them. The trick is finding where they are exposed. They are typically exposed because of digging or excavation. The rivers cut away at the soil and expose them also. The ocean is constantly moving vast amounts of materials and sometimes causes fossil beds to be exposed. The sharks tooth is the most collected fossil in the world. I found most of my fossils in the rivers, although I have found fossils diving offshore. I am on a constant lookout for them. I found a fossilized Murex offshore North Myrtle Beach SC and I found a fossilized Scallop offshore Charleston SC. Learning to recognize a fossil when you see it, and learning where they are likely to be found, are some of the first steps to fossil hunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom