Fort Worden info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'll be over in Fort Worden next month and I'm wondering if any of you have info on the dive site there. The two days I'll be there it's a very low tide (almost a -4). I can only dive slack before flood due to my schedule... The description says its a pretty shallow dive. What's it like on a minus tide? Will I be walking around :wink:

I have wondered the same thing. Also about fort casey. I would think that the navy would have left some cool junk to check out in front of the forts. I dive report would be cool.

Here's a link to a dive site map for Ft. Worden.

It's an easy dive at slack. Even if there's a slight current you can do it as a drift dive. Of the three dives I've done there the maximum depth was 36ft (not sure if that was a low tide). So NDLs are not a problem! :wink:

You can also dive around the pilings at the marine science center, or start or end there a dive there. It's even shallower (10-25ft) but there's lots of nice growth. Either way, be aware of any boat and jetski traffic -- shouldn't be too much of a problem at this time of the year.

If you have the time and transportation, I suggest going over to Point Hudson as well. It's about a 4 minute drive from Ft. Worden. Point Hudson is at the end of Water Street in downtown Port Townsend (see dive site map). IMO it's much more interesting, albeit more challenging due to higher exposure to currents. Along the rocks towards the end of the breakwater we regularly see an octopus and other cuddly critters. And there you can go as deep as you'd like...

If you need a buddy let me know. If I'm free, I'd be happy to do Ft. Worden again -- and I'll do Hudson at any slack tide!

Regarding Ft. Casey, the Keystone jetty (next to where the ferry arrives) is the place to go there. I don't know about any other diving in the Fort Casey area. Keystone is just as good as Pt. Hudson, arguably better. It's just a hassle to get there because you have to take the ferry from Port Townsend.

glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom