Fort Pierce Inlet question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FallenMatt

Reaction score
Today i've got a "family" yearly pass to florida state parks (it covers up to 4 divers, don't have to be related :D ). With the pass there was a little booklet with all the state parks listed included.

Reading though it I see Fort Pierce Inlet State park. Scuba diving allowed, beach, Jack Island, Intracoastal Waterway... that's about all the intersting stuff that i found.

The place seems interesting mainly because it is less drive than west palm beach :D and seems like a chance to do some beach diving.

Did a search for "fort and pierce and inlet" and found only two not really related posts.
Google search spits out tons of irrelevant out-of-state commercial tourist pages.

SO, this is my question: how is diving in there? is it worth the trip or is it just endless sea of sand at the bottom ?

And, while we are at this, what are other state parks worth visiting and scuba diving in Florida ?

I know all the ones that have springs :) which is not that many....

Any comments? Advice ?

thanks for reply

yes, i have that book (how can you live/dive in Florida and not have that book ? :) )

but somehow i didn't think about reading the fort pierce chapter from it (brain asleep or something ??)

yeah, now i open the book at page 236 and here it is: inlet park: rock formations, some as close as 75 yards from shore, depths from 15 fo 30 feet,, great spot for lobstering and fish watching.

next time i will actually check the book before posting questions :rolleyes:

hey, thanks for the information on the st. lucie beach diving. Actually I have been looking for places to beach dive that are not too far from Miami/Ft Lauderdale and fort pierce still within a reasonable distance.

Bye
Ivan

Just South of Ft. Pierce Inlet is the Colored Beach Area. There are a couple of 1715 wreaks off the beach which are off limited to anyone with a metal detector but not to shore divers. There is a limestone reef (actually three) running north south to the beach. Treasure boats have pretty much torn up the area in some spots but, I caught a lot of lobsters in only 15 to 20' of water. Drive over the bridge south of the inlet and stay on the road along the shore. After about 4 miles you will come to a county park. Park there and walk over the dune to the shore. If the water is calm there is about a 2' drop off as soon as you get in. If the water is rough, come back another day. Don't forget you must tow a float with a flag!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom