Formal solo diving training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You certainly need to take skills and equipment into consideration for solo diving. But, my belief is that the fundemental attributes for solo diving are the divers personality and attitude.

There are some people whose approach to life in general and diving in specific that makes them unsuitable for solo diving no matter how many courses they successfully take, or how much redundant gear they carry.

On the other hand there are people whose personality and attitude make them excellent candidates for solo diving. For these people there really isn't any course they need. They are able to assess their own capabilities and venture out with minimum risk. Note I said "minimum"; not "no". From your profile you may be one of these people.

These people approach a new situation by taking a little bite at a time until they thoroughly understand the environment.

So, I don't think you necessarily need to take a "solo diving course". What is needed is a frank personal assessment. Do you do other things, like camping trips solo? Do you tend to think clearly in stressful situations? Do you take the initiative in crisis, or are you one who prefers others to take the lead? Well, you get the idea.

ArcticDiver:
You certainly need to take skills and equipment into consideration for solo diving. But, my belief is that the fundemental attributes for solo diving are the divers personality and attitude.

There are some people whose approach to life in general and diving in specific that makes them unsuitable for solo diving no matter how many courses they successfully take, or how much redundant gear they carry.

On the other hand there are people whose personality and attitude make them excellent candidates for solo diving. For these people there really isn't any course they need. They are able to assess their own capabilities and venture out with minimum risk. Note I said "minimum"; not "no". From your profile you may be one of these people.

These people approach a new situation by taking a little bite at a time until they thoroughly understand the environment.

So, I don't think you necessarily need to take a "solo diving course". What is needed is a frank personal assessment. Do you do other things, like camping trips solo? Do you tend to think clearly in stressful situations? Do you take the initiative in crisis, or are you one who prefers others to take the lead? Well, you get the idea.
I get the idea, and most my previous jobs have included an elevated risk factor, except when i bored my *** off doing ecommerce for a period and when I worked in retail during uni :rofl3:
I do know I handle stress well and I do take the lead when I need to.
However, I also know that my diving skills are not the best out there, since im quite new to the sport (need to update my profile tho) and that I will never know all there is to know about diving. Guess thats one of the reasons we keep diving.

Tigerman:
I get the idea, and most my previous jobs have included an elevated risk factor, except when i bored my *** off doing ecommerce for a period and when I worked in retail during uni :rofl3:
I do know I handle stress well and I do take the lead when I need to.
However, I also know that my diving skills are not the best out there, since im quite new to the sport (need to update my profile tho) and that I will never know all there is to know about diving. Guess thats one of the reasons we keep diving.

To repeat a bit, many folks consider skills knowledge as the sole criterion for solo diving. While that is important, the fundemental thing is a person's attitude and personality. From what you write I bet you won't scare yourself too often :eyebrow: and won't let lack of companions keep you dry.

Have fun

I will :)
And I did.. only a few hours after my previous post infact.. 22 minutes at 9 meters.. 3 degrees celcius in the water.. refreshing morning bath at 8am local time :)

ANDI has a solo program.. It is atechnical rating and either requires a base level technical certification and gear or the two classes can be combined..

Tigerman:
A little backstory to begin with;
Im living in the inlands in Norway, and given the population density here, there is to my knowledge only one other diver "near" me (and even that is 60 km away from here) and there is obviously no dive shops around. Ive also taken AOW with navigation, s&r, navigation, deep and wreck specialties.
Ive been working a fair bit with higher than normal risk and incident levels and do not easilly "freak out" when things happen.

Therefore I consider diving solo as an option to get some actual diving done a bit easier. Its not only hard to find a buddy here, but its also rather far (and costy) to travel around to locations with active divers. I want to keep my skills fresh at the least and of course also improve my bouyancy, sac and so on (yep, im still an air hog).
I have done 3 or 4 solo dives in a rather large lake with few obstacles and low risk of entanglement and i have kept the dives shallow (no deeper than 10 meters), so that CESA is an option.

Im wondering if there is any organization that provide "formal training" for solo diving?
I would assume the answer is no, but if there is any such training, who can provide it.

Back
Top Bottom