Forgive me, for I have "sinned"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, maybe it wasn't really a sin, but I know I will feel much better after confessing.

I was paired with a nice young man as an "instabuddy" for a dive off Destin, Florida. The dive was fairly mundane...an excursion to 80 feet on a very small reef, but the vis was only about 15 feet. The boat was anchored in the crook of the "L" shapped ridge. We went to one end, then about-faced and went back past the anchor to the other end. That's when my partner hit the turn pressure, so we headed back, with me in the lead. However, here is where my "transgression" occurred. Instead of simply following the narrow reef back to the anchor, I decided to cut across the "L" a bit, following a calculated compass heading. What I didn't allow for was a slight cross-current. In short, we missed the anchor, had to do a free ascent...and topped about a hundred yards from the boat with a nice young deckhand on a boogie-board awaiting to "help" us back to the boat. Yes, I have now make the dreaded "ride of shame".

I know it's not really something all THAT terrible, but I was mortified to have dragged my new young friend along. Ah, well. Nothing damaged but my pride.

There. I feel much better for getting that off my chest.

Sorta.

Meh, lesson learned.

And I've dove without a snorkel.

A simple navigation malfunction in muddy waters is nothing compared to what I won't tell you guys.....

Well, maybe it wasn't really a sin, but I know I will feel much better after confessing.

I was paired with a nice young man as an "instabuddy" for a dive off Destin, Florida. The dive was fairly mundane...an excursion to 80 feet on a very small reef, but the vis was only about 15 feet. The boat was anchored in the crook of the "L" shapped ridge. We went to one end, then about-faced and went back past the anchor to the other end. That's when my partner hit the turn pressure, so we headed back, with me in the lead. However, here is where my "transgression" occurred. Instead of simply following the narrow reef back to the anchor, I decided to cut across the "L" a bit, following a calculated compass heading. What I didn't allow for was a slight cross-current. In short, we missed the anchor, had to do a free ascent...and topped about a hundred yards from the boat with a nice young deckhand on a boogie-board awaiting to "help" us back to the boat. Yes, I have now make the dreaded "ride of shame".

I know it's not really something all THAT terrible, but I was mortified to have dragged my new young friend along. Ah, well. Nothing damaged but my pride.

There. I feel much better for getting that off my chest.

Sorta.

That's all you've got ?? :cool2:

Is there a hell for sinful divers?

Is there a hell for sinful divers?

Yes - and the only dive-able water is the mirage.

---------- Post Merged at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:25 AM ----------

and there is no beer.

Back
Top Bottom