Forget the Real World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doitdeeper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The ultimate question I want to ask here is was it worth quitting your desk job to become an instructor?

Now, about me: I'm 26 years old, am currently a Dive Master student, graduated from a prestigious college (UNC Chapel Hill- Go Heels!) with 2 degrees and found myself in corporate America. I hate it. Every spare chance I get, I look at pictures or imagine life if all I did was wake up and dive everyday. I plan on moving somewhere in the Caribbean in about 5 months to find a job and start my life as an Instructor, at least for a little while. As time gets closer, I have days where I can't wait and others where I am nervous about the prospect. To those who made the leap, was it worth it?

The ultimate question I want to ask here is was it worth quitting your desk job to become an instructor?

Now, about me: I'm 26 years old, am currently a Dive Master student, graduated from a prestigious college (UNC Chapel Hill- Go Heels!) with 2 degrees and found myself in corporate America. I hate it. Every spare chance I get, I look at pictures or imagine life if all I did was wake up and dive everyday. I plan on moving somewhere in the Caribbean in about 5 months to find a job and start my life as an Instructor, at least for a little while. As time gets closer, I have days where I can't wait and others where I am nervous about the prospect. To those who made the leap, was it worth it?

Spend some time researching instructors - stay away from "fast track" learning - this is not college, it's people's lives. You need to ask yourself if you are willing to be mentored by the proper person long enough for them to tell you they would allow you to train one of their family members.

I'd say - your young enough and hopefully don't have that many things to tie you down - go for it but do it in a way that truly prepares you.

Doitdeeper, I would suggest that before you take the leap, that you get your self out of any and all debt. Pay off your student loans, sell your car, and buy a POS that is paid in full. Lower your expenses. You will be very surprised how far your money will go if you are careful. You are going to need these skills, because it's very difficult (although not impossible) to make a really good living as an instructor.

Once you decide to make the leap, do some research on living in other countries. I was able to have a very comfortable life in Thailand for a few years.

Good luck, and have fun.

I think the post about college credit and dives was way out of order for a forum which is a sub-category of "Basic Scuba Discussions"

To Doitdeeper:

I live and work as an instructor in a busy resort location. I have travelled the world and seen some of the most amazing things a human being can possibly see without leaving the planet. I have met some wonderful people with whom I have had awesome times and I treasure some truly fantastic memories but there are some downsides.

These have been discussed at length many times but it's not likely to make you a rich person and it's often really hard work, and friends and lovers will come and go, come and go. It can be a very transitory way of life, and you need to be prepared for that.

Having some capital back home - a house, or savings, or whatever - is not essential but it is useful. Make sure you understand carefully what you are letting yourself in for and research thoroughly.

Do not discount so called "fast track" learning because if it's done correctly it can be a very valuable training experience. I trained and later worked in that evironment and if I did not believe it was worthwhile, I would not do it. I am not a stupid person. Our interns would often be living and working in a busy tourist resort in thailand for 6 months or more, and that experience is invaluable.

It is not an easy life, taking this up as a full-time profession, especially if you are going to be working in a popular diving holiday destination. I do not represent all diving instructors, of course, but I know that many instructors have similar feelings and experiences but....

....Was it worth it?

Yes.

Crowley

Wow, Thank again for all of the responses. I've been looking into diving the Caymans to start with and jumping around the Caribbean for a few years. I'm a hard worker, so that doesn't scare me. And I can become rather transient very quickly. That wouldn't be a problem. It's just a dream I've had and well, as time comes closer, it's a big jump to make.

Speaking of the Dive colleges, I've spoken with a PADI backed dive college that takes a month and then he will place you at a job somewhere down there. Should I stay away from all of them or just do a lot of research?

I would highly reccomend learning a different language, also do your IDC with a shop you want to work for after,as they will already know you and have a better cance to land that first job.

Keep in mind your audience when you open with talk of degrees and whose university was better than whose. I think it'll find poor reception if you choose to pursue a career in diving where knowledge is relative and suddenly you're the uneducated one. Sorry if that sounded preachy, but mention it only if asked.

When I hear 'prestigious east coast university' I think of very few things compatible or conducive to success in the dive industry, nor would it put you on my short-list of job candidates if I were hiring without a strong aquatics background. From what I see of your profile, I wonder if you've done your homework on this one?

I recommend you take a couple years, pick up 50-60 dives of a variety of dive environments, buy some gear, cert through Rescue and EFR, save around $5000, then come back and ask this question again. Like me, you're a hobbyist and prone to getting carried away I bet...

Last edited:

I think the bigger issue here is that you're burned out at 26. You've only been working full time for a couple of years after your study and you probably have another 40 or so years to go before your career has run it's course .....

I'd say just reading this post that you do need a job change but I wouldn't focus so much on this particular solution. Shaking the oil out of the fries at McDonalds literally pays better than most scuba professionals make.

I do understand (I think) how you feel to some extent. I wasn't made for sitting inside for anywhere from 40-60 hours a week either and even after all this time I still find doing so painful. I don't expect that will ever stop. I've had to make some adjustments to my life in other areas in order to "survive" the desk job, but the money is good and in my case the work is interesting enough to make me get out of bed in the morning.

That said... what's your story? Why are you burned out so soon? It usually takes people longer.

R..

Keep in mind your audience when you open with talk of degrees and whose university was better than whose. I think it'll find poor reception if you choose to pursue a career in diving where knowledge is relative and suddenly you're the uneducated one. Sorry if that sounded preachy, but mention it only if asked.

When I hear 'prestigious east coast university' I think of very few things compatible or conducive to success in the dive industry, nor would it put you on my short-list of job candidates if I were hiring without a strong aquatics background. From what I see of your profile, I wonder if you've done your homework on this one?

I recommend you take a couple years, pick up 50-60 dives of a variety of dive environments, buy some gear, cert through Rescue and EFR, save around $5000, then come back and ask this question again. Like me, you're a hobbyist and prone to getting carried away I bet...

I'm sorry if I offended you by telling that about myself. The fact of the matter was I wanted to come across as an intelligent person who had their stuff together and this wasn't on a whim that I decided it. I know it has nothing to do with dive knowledge or capability and I in no way wanted it to come across as such.

I think the bigger issue here is that you're burned out at 26. You've only been working full time for a couple of years after your study and you probably have another 40 or so years to go before your career has run it's course .....

I'd say just reading this post that you do need a job change but I wouldn't focus so much on this particular solution. Shaking the oil out of the fries at McDonalds literally pays better than most scuba professionals make.

I do understand (I think) how you feel to some extent. I wasn't made for sitting inside for anywhere from 40-60 hours a week either and even after all this time I still find doing so painful. I don't expect that will ever stop. I've had to make some adjustments to my life in other areas in order to "survive" the desk job, but the money is good and in my case the work is interesting enough to make me get out of bed in the morning.

That said... what's your story? Why are you burned out so soon? It usually takes people longer.

R..

As RU4scuba mentioned, I think I've just become a hobbyist that gets a little eager from time to time. Since I posted this, I've switched jobs and have something much more satisfying. I was very dissatisfied with my job, because it felt like it was a slow sinking ship. The industry I was in is slowly dying and much more time spent in that industry might pigeon hole me to that industry. I felt a little claustrophobic. But all is good. I've temporarily given up my scuba instructor dream for a more realistic one right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom