Forever Loyal, Rob Secher. Heartache.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though I did not know Rob, I am heartbroken over the terrible news (as I am with every death). If you provide his unit mailing address (by PM for security reasons), I'll make sure our Holloween package goes to his unit.

My sincerest condolences go out to you, Jim and Catherine, and to Rob's family. I am including a couple of things I used in my best friend's eulogy, Capt. Ray White, USMC. I hope you will find them of some comfort to you. :116:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

II Timothy 4:7-8, 16-18

The streets of heaven are guarded by United States Marines

:salute:

you people mean a lot to me, and this is where I turn.

It is not "just the internet". Thank-you very much for being here.

wow, Catherine, and Jim, I am So sorry.

That TOTALLY SUCKS! To think the world takes for granted the price the US pays to attempt to fee people and make the world a better place.

I have friends in Iraq, and can only hope that they make it back to their families safely, but one can take nothing for granted.

Safe Flight to DC, and I'm sure the service will honor this man.

Catherine- we lived close to D.C. for many years and have gone through Arlington. Don't take this the wrong way, but it will be a very nice funeral. Arlington National is beautiful. It is amazing how many crosses are out there. Our condolenses to you, JB and Rob's family.

Try to stay either in D.C. or Virginia. We still have friends that live in Bowie and I can get some info on nice places around if you still need. Give JB a big hug from us.
Melissa

Hey Catherine,

I lived in VA for about 20 years. My suggestion would be to fly into Regan Internation Airport. Another option is to fly into Dullas, but it's maybe a 30 minute taxi ride to get close to DC from there and depending on the time of day (avoid rush hour) it could take hours.

You can stay in Rosslyn, or DC. Use the Metro Rail to get around. It's clean, and takes you just about anywhere you want to go including a station at Arlington Cemetery. If you do fly into Dullas, you could stay closer to the airport like in Vienna, or Falls church. I'm not sure how close the hotels are to the stations, so if you do go that route, make sure you ask about getting to a station unless you do decide to rent a car. Parking however at the outlaying stations was non-existant if you were not there by 6:00AM. The Suburbs of VA are generally nice, but your not downtown, and traffic is a nightmare during rush hour to get downtown. I'd recommend staying in the city.

HERE is a map of the metro. As you can see it is quite extensive. If you flyinto Regan there is a metro station there, or you can take a cab or shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I would think any major hotel in DC or Rosslyn is going to provide that as a service.

There are a ton of hotels in Washington, so just pick a major name (Hilton, Marriott, whatever), and it will be there. Rosslyn is across the river, but right on the metro line, and VERY close to Arlington Cemetery. If you want, I can do a bit more research and even suggest some hotels, but I think you should not have issues, just make sure the the hotel is near a station.

The metro also has stops at/near the Capital, Vietnam Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, the Mall, Smithsonian and anywhere else you may want to visit in Washington. I have not been back there for 12 year, but the traffic sucked then, parking was a nightmare, and I hear it is even worst now, so getting a car is actually more trouble than it's worth unless you need to visit area's outside the city like Gettysburg.

Again, sorry for your loss, and if you have questions about DC, or VA, PM me as you wish.

I hope his family understands how important his job there was and that he died for a good cause. My deepest sympathies to all involved. Rest in Peace Marine. Thank you.
Semper Fi

RonFrank:
To think the world takes for granted the price the US pays to attempt to fee people and make the world a better place.

I'm not sure who you are talking about but no one I know takes it for granted. This is a supreme sacrifice. Very sad indeed. And truly heroic, especially based on Catherine's kind words about him.

sea nmf:
I'm not sure who you are talking about but no one I know takes it for granted. This is a supreme sacrifice. Very sad indeed. And truly heroic, especially based on Catherine's kind words about him.

The comment was not directed at anyone in paticular. But there is no shortage of people even in the US that feel it's best to just let many places just rot rather then spending the time, money, manpower, and even life to rid places like Iraq of people like Sadam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom