Foreigners not allowed in Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just heard this from my resort:

Thanks for sharing.

Sorong isn't really a transit point for flights unless you mean they are able to fly to Sorong and go to Raja Ampat directly. Many people on liveaboards stay a night at a hotel before and/or after a liveaboard. What is the status with the notice about foreigners not being allowed to buy tickets or to go to Sorong right now?

I got the message from a resort in Raja Ampat, so by transit I assume they mean to Raja Ampat. I have a room booked in Sorong for the return day, so not sure how that would work. Honestly at this point it is almost certain my trip is canceled since I would probably need to get a new flight not going through Taiwan and would need to get a visa in advance and health waiver too.

Just heard this from my resort:
Yeah, this makes pretty much no sense - but is probably not surprising given this is a new directive & there is a ton of confusion on the ground. Time will tell. The visa and, especially health waiver, are another concern - I doubt there are any processes established for getting a health waiver...

Yeah, this makes pretty much no sense - but is probably not surprising given this is a new directive & there is a ton of confusion on the ground. Time will tell. The visa and, especially health waiver, are another concern - I doubt there are any processes established for getting a health waiver...

Right. My physician would not test me for COVID-19 unless I show some symptoms (coughing, fever, etc.).

I guess the best they can do is to specify that as of X date, you do not show any symptoms of COVID and are fit to travel. That might be in vain, given the possible circumstance in Sorong, if it holds to be true.

To add a bit to the above, I heard today from people who are right now in Raja Ampat area and especially in Sorong that some locals have started showing their dislike towards foreigners as they see travelers as potential virus carriers. Given their (lack of) health system I quite agree with them. Anyway for sure it is not the best of times to be there.
On the other hand, it is a great chance for the reefs and nature to be left alone for a while to "rest" a bit.

As for LoBs Scuba Republic was initially reluctant to reschedule (let alone refund) but given the dramatic turn of the events, they accepted.

I am afraid that without viiting tourist the reefs and nature will be just another victim. How for the local people to survive without going back to their old habits?

Although I think that the real crisis is about life and death, About fear and losing millions of people. I still want to say something about cancelation policy. For many live aboards and resorts it will be extremely difficult not to go out of business for ever. This will not be over in some weeks. The money received for these booked trips is often already spent. Or have to be spend on salaries and other costs. How to finance future trips if they have to be offered as a compensation for a missed trip, without payment? Getting a loan from the bank is practically impossible here in Indonesia. And even if you can, the interest is more than 15%. Employees do not have any social security from the government. They fully depend on their employers. One employee is often taking care of many family members. They pay their costs of living and education. Going on a dive trip is a luxery. Something you can do without. A cancelled holiday is no fun, but not a disaster. But food and a roof are essential.
As most of the resorts I have contact with, we offer the possibility to postpone a trip and keep the prepaid amount as a credit. Although in our cancellation policy it is very clear stated there can be no refund, whatever the conditions are.

To confirm your booking you only have to provide us with your full name(s) and a copy of your confirmed flight itinerary.
Payment can be done at the end of your stay, by internet banking, cash*, debit card or credit card.
Payment can also be done in advance. If you want to prepay, we offer you a 10% discount on the part of your reservation you pay in advance. This discount is not valid for the transfers by boat, car and airplane. To receive the 10% discount, you have to ask for this when you make the reservation and let us know which part of your booking you want to prepay. We will send you an invoice promptly and the invoice must been paid within 1 week after receiving your invoice. For any reservation made shorter than 30 days before your arrival date, we cannot offer this discount. By paying when you make your reservation you exclude also possible negative fluctuations in the exchange rates. Please note that there is no refund at all of this amount in case you cancel your trip, for whatever reason. Please note that we release temporary reservations after 7 days if we did not receive a copy of your tickets or a payment.

But please be aware that this comes to very high costs for us and our staff. Most of them will have to take unpaid leave until tourism picks up again. But at that moment many resorts and live aboards will be gone. Unless a miracle happens.
We, the resorts and live a boards, are loyal to our guests. Please be loyal to us. Try to claim from your insurance first. And then consider again.

the problem is almost no insurance companies are covering because of pandemic exclusions unless if you have a CFAR policy which most are not.

My resort did voluntarily amend their policy to currently do 75% credit to a future date if canceled before 24 hours. This is far better than their written policy of 0% if canceled within 30 days. They won't change it further unless it is the Indonesian government doing the travel ban, not other countries. I fully get this and 75% credit is a great compromise during a difficult time. I'm currently planning to take this unless something changes since as things stand I would get stuck in quarantine in Taiwan on my way home (unless I could stay at the hotel in the airport for the 1 day layover).

Although I think that the real crisis is about life and death, About fear and losing millions of people. I still want to say something about cancelation policy. For many live aboards and resorts it will be extremely difficult not to go out of business for ever. This will not be over in some weeks. The money received for these booked trips is often already spent. Or ha to be spend on salaries and other costs. How to finance future trips if they have to be offered as a compensation for a missed trip, without payment? Getting a loan from the bank is practically impossible here in Indonesia. And even if you can, the interest is more than 15%. Employees do not have any social security from the government. They fully depend on their employers. One employee is often taking care of many family members. They pay their costs of living and education. Going on a dive trip is a luxery. Something you can do without. A cancelled holiday is no fun, but not a disaster. But food and a roof are essential.
As most of the resorts I have contact with, we offer the possibility to postpone a trip and keep the prepaid amount as a credit. Although in our cancellation policy it is very clear stated there can be no refund, whatever the conditions are.

To confirm your booking you only have to provide us with your full name(s) and a copy of your confirmed flight itinerary.
Payment can be done at the end of your stay, by internet banking, cash*, debit card or credit card.
Payment can also be done in advance. If you want to prepay, we offer you a 10% discount on the part of your reservation you pay in advance. This discount is not valid for the transfers by boat, car and airplane. To receive the 10% discount, you have to ask for this when you make the reservation and let us know which part of your booking you want to prepay. We will send you an invoice promptly and the invoice must been paid within 1 week after receiving your invoice. For any reservation made shorter than 30 days before your arrival date, we cannot offer this discount. By paying when you make your reservation you exclude also possible negative fluctuations in the exchange rates. Please note that there is no refund at all of this amount in case you cancel your trip, for whatever reason. Please note that we release temporary reservations after 7 days if we did not receive a copy of your tickets or a payment.

But please be aware that this comes to very high costs for us and our staff. Most of them will have to take unpaid leave until tourism picks up again. But at that moment many resorts and live aboards will be gone. Unless a miracle happens.
We, the resorts and live aboards, are loyal to our guests. Please be loyal to us. Try to claim fro your insurance first. And then consider again.

Thanks for coming in with the resort's point of view. This is a tough time for everyone, I can afford to lose the $ I spent on a single trip, employees and dive resorts will be losing their entire income for weeks possibly months. IMHO it is time for a bit of perspective here.

I personally don't buy trip insurance - prefer to self insure and so far with the number of trips I have done and the cost of insurance I am far ahead making that decision. If my upcoming trip goes away and the deposit goes away it will not be the end of the world. Am very aware that the resorts and liveaboards I have booked with may simply cease to exist if this goes on for any extended time.

If you decided not to purchase trip insurance - which I am sure was recommended by your resort/agent - I am having a little bit of trouble having much sympathy for those getting pissed because the resort/liveaboard is not covering your loss. Seems to me they are going WAY above and beyond by offering any credit at all. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom