Foreigners not allowed in Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Coronavirus strikes again...

I got this from a liveaboard crew member I keep in contact with. This has just been posted in Sorong. Thanks to @Dan for the translation, but it essentially says the airlines listed in the document are asked to not let foreigners to come to Sorong. This is by order of the Sorong mayor with the approval of President Jokowi. @Dan will provide a full translation later.

I am dealing with one liveaboard who has initially said they are not willing to reschedule a booking and are sticking to their original terms and conditions (!!) in a time where every travel supplier I can think of, and other liveaboards and resorts, are being flexible. My agent is still trying to convince them to change their policy but I'm hoping for the best. So if this applies to you, this should help.

Also, Visa On Arrival is no longer being issued when landing in Indonesia. Everyone will need to get a visa for their purposes at a consulate and in order to get one, you need a health certificate. They added new countries to the list of banned entries: Italy and Vatican City, Spain, France, Germany, the UK, as well as Iran. Previous restrictions on China and South Korea still apply.

Attachments

• 901d2f4d-458f-4ab1-b7c3-4981f7f4649f.JPG
    901d2f4d-458f-4ab1-b7c3-4981f7f4649f.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 219
Crossed information here, but it is also indicated in this announcement that "Visiting Raja Ampat is no problem"...?! :confused:

To add a bit to the above, I heard today from people who are right now in Raja Ampat area and especially in Sorong that some locals have started showing their dislike towards foreigners as they see travelers as potential virus carriers. Given their (lack of) health system I quite agree with them. Anyway for sure it is not the best of times to be there.
On the other hand, it is a great chance for the reefs and nature to be left alone for a while to "rest" a bit.

As for LoBs Scuba Republic was initially reluctant to reschedule (let alone refund) but given the dramatic turn of the events, they accepted.

Thanks - in the same boat right now....liveaboard and travel agent not flexible. How long is this entry ban?

Thanks - in the same boat right now....liveaboard and travel agent not flexible. How long is this entry ban?
Until 2nd of April (for now).

Edit: That's wrong. See replies below. 2nd of April is mentioned somewhere in the document I saw but it is for something totally different - my Bahasa is much worst than Dan's. Sorry for this

Crossed information here, but it is also indicated in this announcement that "Visiting Raja Ampat is no problem"...?! :confused:

Visiting Raja Ampat is not a problem for the protest section, not for the Foreigner Entry Ban.

To add a bit to the above, I heard today from people who are right now in Raja Ampat area and especially in Sorong that some locals have started showing their dislike towards foreigners as they see travelers as potential virus carriers. Given their (lack of) health system I quite agree with them. Anyway for sure it is not the best of times to be there.
On the other hand, it is a great chance for the reefs and nature to be left alone for a while to "rest" a bit.

As for LoBs Scuba Republic was initially reluctant to reschedule (let alone refund) but given the dramatic turn of the events, they accepted.

I was scheduled to do 2 Raja liveaboards followed by a resort trip in Ambon. One of the boats as of last night was sticking to their terms and conditions. I booked through my amazing agent and he is being my advocate, telling them all the things I have been thinking all along. I will refrain from posting who the boat or company is until there is a complete resolution. In essence:

They’re basically saying they’re sticking to their original cancel terms and conditions while acknowledging this historical and never ever encountered event. They said at the end of it all, they will see how many clients are affected and then do their very best to help then. They need to evaluate the situation at the end to see if they can reschedule some of their guests and acknowledged they can’t do all becayse it’s not technically possible and it would be a financial disaster.

That resolution could be months from now, if not a year.....

They are doing what’s only best for them whereas many in travel industry are understanding the uniqueness of the situation and are being more flexible. They are basically not willing to do anything that doesn’t give them the best “out”

Based on the helpful link @MomZo just shared, it is for 2 months......for now. To start...

Visiting Raja Ampat is not a problem for the protest section, not for the Foreigner Entry Ban.
I don't know, the information is confusing.

What is the link between avoiding the protest and demonstrations and visiting Raja Ampat?

Here is my attempt to translate the letter from the Sorong Mayor, that @outofofficebrb posted in post #1. I've been out of the country and now living in USA for over 40 years, so my translation is a bit rough, but I think you all get the drift.

COVID-19 Sorong.jpg

I don't know, the information is confusing.

What is the link between avoiding the protest and demonstrations and visiting Raja Ampat?

The demonstrations part was last updated in October. Tourists might be scared to go because they think business or safety is affected. For a while, the airport was affected earlier than October. They were reassuring visitors that the protests did not affect Raja Ampat visits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom