ForceFin Pro vs. ForceFin adjustable which to choose? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

castanagajt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I understand that the Force fin Pro is of the same molding from the original force fin yet it it is of a stiffer grade of polyureathane thus a harder snap.

And the adjustable forcefin comes with the bungie, adjustable buckles in case your friends wants to try, comfort instep and mounting points to use force wings. The only thing about it is that it is the softer grade of polyurethane that is also used for the original Force fin.

I would think to increase surface area for the adjustable force fin would be to add the Bat Wings. or shark teeth to stabilize the fin because I found a number of reviews from prior divers that tried the force fins and complain about the fin side slices to the side or it is not as stable as other fins in the market.

As of right now I am thinking that the adjustable Force Fin would be the better of the two, what would you guys pick and why? Thanks.

I personnally would probably get the Pros as I have never had an issue with side shutter on that fin. I have also heard great reviews about the adjustable, although I have never personnnaly used it. I suspect that if you expirience noticable side shutter that the foot pocket is too loose.

To offer good advice I have to ask what you diving history is, how and where you intend to use them, what gear you normally wear.

My dive history is brief, as you can see on my dives. I usually rent my equipment in Sport Chalet where I work part time because it is free for me. Never can't beat free, right? Usually my dives would be in Lake Mead (55 degrees F usually ) with my cousin. Gear; O'neil Farmer john 7mm, Force Fin extra force without Force Wings, Akona hard soled 7mm boot, (free rental) Seaquest Pro QD BC, Aqualung Titan regulator and calypso (2nd reg), suunto gekko with sk7 compass. etc.

The gear I am trying to put together is well my farmer john 7mm and hard soled boots, Aqualung Legend LX Supreme and Legend secondary regulator, Seaquest Black Diamond (lrg) BC, Suunto Cobra2 and whatever Force Fin, not sure perhaps you can help. This gear I intend to use is in Lake Mead and California. Meesier, anybody what Force fin do i go for?

I have owned and used both. I would avoid the adjustable and keep it simple. The adjustable were a pain in the butt IMO. Go for the Pro's with bungee

I would probably just get some Wings, probably Whiskers on your extra's. if you want a second pair of FF's then I'd go for the Pros w/bungies and a set of comfort insteps so you can size them for your buddy. I have used the SD-1 foot pocket although its adjustable and fantastic, its not the adjustable footpocket.

I would choose the Pros proforce_product, but I would have to pay attention to the size and also get comfort inserts
instep_product
- I like to call them sizing inserts, cause I use them to dive in my tropical set up and with out when I am diving drysuit or colder water with my wesuit boots. If I had to choose Pros with out inserts versus adjustables it would be the adjustables.
If I could buy them with inserts I would choose the PROS because I really like the feel and look of one solid piece of equpiment and I have used that model more than the other.
If I had a really high arch I might consider the adjustable. One mistake people make with the adjustable is that they try to adjust them each and every time. Once you have them adjusted to your foot you really don't need to adjust them again. When you are ready to use them you simply put the top felt insert in the up position and the heel strap below the foot pocket slide you foot into the fin lift the strap up and you are ready. You are up near lake mead. Any interest in Float tubing? You can use Pros and some people sure do for float tubing, but the adjustables might be better for more options with different waders and boots.
It really is a personal choice PROS versus Adjustables. I have talked to a few divers who insist on adjustables and they are regular SCUBA divers who just would rather use the adjustable fin.

Hey thanks gentleman, really it helps a lot. So yah I think the force fin pros will be great for me, definitely I have to have the bungies. I have it on my Force Fin Extra Force and entry and exit is quick and simple plus it looks cooler than normal spring straps.

Sorry to be a humbug but does the comfort instep make your foot like a size smaller, like I can use this product with just a neoprene sock or even bare feet? Yet when I take out the comfort instep I can use my hard soled boot? Or can their be a chance that I will have to buy a large for warmer waters, and x-large for my hard soled boots.

I think I found my question on the Force Fin website, looks as if I would have to buy a set of large in order to do that idea with soft soled bootie. Unless I buy 2 comfort insteps just to do that so I can still use the Force Fin Pro with my hard soled booties, whice sounds utterly foolish to do. I guess I will stick with extra large and use my hard soled boot with the Force Fin Pro.

On your question about sizing ~ Comfort Insteps are 3/8" thick so your Force Fins must be sized up one from your barefoot shoe size.
On the Ocean Futures Society dive team we have 3 sizes of Force Fins. L XL XXL. We use the inserts and sometimes I have doubled them up to fit smaller team members so it works. When I go to the Tropics I still use my hard sole boots, just for protection and the chance of walking on the rocky shore to the dive site is always a possible situation. Safe diving!

gosh I just looked at my prior post and man that looks confusing, that is what I get with staying up so late. Basically for me to use bare feet or with a sock I will need a large. On the flipside being that my feet is 9.5-10 on a hard soled boot I will use an XL.

The large would be dumb for me to buy so buying two pair of the instep pads for an xl forcefin pro would be the best bet so I can use my hard soled boot and or bare feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom