Force fins vs Scubapro Twin jet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I use Scubapro twin jets fins and love em. But they are heavy and I need something light for travel. If I get the original Force fins will they give about the same propulsion as the split twin jet fins?

Also, can the strap be changed to a stainless spring on the Force fins? The original equipment bungee cord does not appeal to me.

Dear Allenwrench, May I suggest the Force Fin Pro model. We are running a special this month on that model http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/298945-30-30-30-a.html The bungee system is light and works just fine for my military customers. Spring straps make no sense to me, I put the spring into my hand cast high performance Poly-Urethanes fins. To test the propulsion of a fin is easy to do in a pool, just remove the strap and see what the fin does for you. Step forward from your Terrestris fin and free up your feet to swim off with a SMART fin. Best Bob

I have used Scubapro Twin Jets for a long time, and this year had the opportunity to try without buying a pair of Force Fins Pro at a LDS. I wasn't able to adapt to them (they felt underpowered, and I was doing all my best without being able to swim the same speed as my usual buddies, which were not in a hurry by any means). I would never want to have to swim in current with FF. My ankles hurt terribly as the fin was pushing them directly, with no pressure applied to the sole. Whatever stroke I was doing I felt they aren't working, and the feeling of that awkward way they attach to the foot was like a slipper front sole bended when you hinder on a rock.

From what I saw here, some love them, some hate them. Try before buying those fins, to know where you stand.

After the dive I found (they never told me before) that everybody there used them for 2-3 dives and then abandoned them on the shelf, still waiting to find their diver.

if you are purely going to measure static thrust or speed, a swimmer with a well trained kick will be faster in the Force Fin Pro. I have tested about 20-30 divers now and every one of them found the ForceFin Pro was faster and more comfortable. Not all of them ended up buying them, but many did.

Not everyone likes the feel of the fins, some do. once you stop telling yourself that they aren't working they suddenly work famously.

As for the bungie- if you want to modify some stainless thing you can, but there is no reason for it, in a ForceFin you don't need a strap at all, the bungie is mostly there for security when entering and exiting the surf. When boat diving, I don't bother with the bungie at all its not worth reaching down to pull it on.

As Vixtor points out, FF are not for everyone. There is a little bit of a learning curve with them.
That said, I had a pair of twin jets and switched to the FF Pros. It took me about two or three dives to get used to them, but at this point I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Regarding the bungies - what about them don't you like? I have seen some use FF either with a very loose strap or none at all - your foot is actually pushed into the fin during use. The reult is that the stap or bungie actually does very little work in holding your fins on.

I would say try the FF Pros for a couple of dives - If you like them great, if not, go back to the twin jets.

Twin Jets and Force Fins are equally unattractive options in my opinon.

Have both fins. Use the SB in colder conditions (no reason why except they fit my foot better with a bootie) Use the FF in warmer climates (most of my diving) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM. Worth every penny (unsolicited comment, ( dont know the manufacturers)

I wanna try those FF'S¡ how I can get a hold of it on mexico???

Dear Allenwrench, May I suggest the Force Fin Pro model. We are running a special this month on that model http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/298945-30-30-30-a.html The bungee system is light and works just fine for my military customers. Spring straps make no sense to me, I put the spring into my hand cast high performance Poly-Urethanes fins. To test the propulsion of a fin is easy to do in a pool, just remove the strap and see what the fin does for you. Step forward from your Terrestris fin and free up your feet to swim off with a SMART fin. Best Bob

I am not a big fan of FF, ask Bob, if you are dead set on them, you definately need to step up to the Pro models, I recommend the Extra or Excellerating FF the basics wil not give you the power you are used to or need....and just to be fair, you will be much more agile, and able to turn/ control alot better with the FF, and they are way more comfortable than your old fins, I also highly recommend the bugees, dont waste your time with the other straps, just order the bungees, they are worth every dime

Back
Top Bottom