Force Fins vs Bio Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denraytay

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I am new to diving been reading a lto on these forms about all the gear choices and can't decided between force fins and apollo bio fins. I know I will get bashed for thinking about getting split fins. And I don't know what classification force fins are either. I have searched and can not come up with anyone asking this question before. Any opinions is appreciated. I would really like to hear from someone that has tried both.

Dennis

Can't comment on the Force fins, although I do have a friend who swears by them.

I can comment on the Bio fins. I absolutely love them. I've also got the spring steel straps which I also heartily endorse.

True you can't scull effectively but then I rarely do so no big loss. If I'm close to the bottom I just use a short ankle stroke while keeping my feet above me.

I've had ScubaPro Rocket fins, Dacor "rocket-like", Mares Plana Avanti Quattro, and currently have another pair full foot for tropical travel. If I could afford the weight limit in my luggage I'd still take my Bios. This past week my wife and I were in the tropics using our full footed Mares fins and we both commented that it seemed to take a lot more effort to swim. I never felt like I had the power that I get with my Bios.

There's my 2 cents. Let the flaming begin.

I have done lots of diving in both, I dove the Atomic Splits for about a year, until a panel rotted and fell out. I replaced them with the Apollo's which I used for a couple of months until I sold them to a friend that liked them more than I.

As for reviews.
Both the Apollos and the ForceFins excellent fins. I'll start with the Apollo, its a great fin, its comfortable, easy to kick and can provide all the speed/thrust that you will ever need. You probably see tons of reviews comparing them to the Atomic Split, which is fine as they are very comparible, but the Apollo is infinately more durable (no panels to rot and fall out) and the foot pocket is more comfortable. I found I can do a frog kick and scull, but certainly the flutter kick is where it shines. It is also much larger and heavier than the ProForce.

The ForceFins are also excellent fins. The ForceFins have a much greater range of fins available. Their ProForce Fin is the most comparible fin to the Apollo's as far a thrust goes. The Forcefin has a MUCH more natural kick and therefore you can maintain an aerobic kick longer when you need to (ie fighting a current). This is due to the unique foot pocket design of the ForceFin. This foot pocket harnesses the power of larger muscle groups that competitive swimmers use to kick with which increases the physiological efficiency. This inturn minimizes lactic acid production and fatigue, which reduces cramping, not to mention will reduce your heartrate and air consumption. You can read more about this at the Truth About Dive Fins and The ForceFin Challenge or over on the Forcefin Forum.

They also make the original split fins the Foil Force Fin, which is probably one of the easiest to kick fins out there. It again is very comparible to the Apollo, just better. Better because the kick is more natural.

ForceFin also makes the TanDelta fin, which is the same shape and feel of the Pro, but due to
the stiffer material uses a slower kick frequency to go the same speed, this is THE fin that many scuba divers prefer.

Then there is the Excellerating Force, the Extra Force, and a whole series of additional speciallist fins, but you can read about them on the ForceFin Forum.

As a last word, I wanted to add, I am now a animate ForceFin user. They do everything for me, they flutter, they frog, they scull and backup. My current go to fin is the Excellerating Force TanDelta. I love this fin. I can easily say that for all those ForceFin haters/doubter this is THE fin that will convert you.

I use Force Fin Pros and my only complaint is that my dive buddies (including instructors) can't keep up if I try simply finning in what feels to me an easy pace. I have to always go easier than I feel like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom