Force Fins, Does anybody actually use them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michangal

New
Reaction score
I have been looking all over for someone who has actually used force fins, not a dealer, or someone who works for "forcefin.com" but an actual diver who has used them on multiple dives. I have found all kinds of articles about this or that and how the navy seals use them, blah, blah, blah. Every time I dig out the source it turns out to be linked to the force fin company.

Is there anybody out there who uses force fins or has used them and can express an honest opinion without getting a kick back from the company?

I recently dove with someone who had them. First time I had ever seen these type of fins with attachments, that looked like upside down devil horns. Sorry I didn't get a chance to ask him anything, but did observe that, although he seemed to move quickly in the water, he was having to work for it. A very wide flutter kick.

I use them and like them ...VERY MUCH.

I am a "short fin blade" type of diver. I had dove for years for years in jet/rocket fins and was looking for something to replace them that would be lighter and perform adequately.

Force Fins definitely addressed the lightness but the vote was still out on the performance side ...and then I got a pair. I doubt at this point I'll ever dive with anything else.

Yeah, I get a lot of strange stares on dive boats but I don't really don't give a HOOT. Force Fins are easier to walk in, gentler on the feet and do EVERYTHING that I need to do underwater. I bought a pair of 3 mm neoprene socks (the type without soles) and I have never had more comfortable feet while diving than I do now.

JCAT:
I recently dove with someone who had them. First time I had ever seen these type of fins with attachments, that looked like upside down devil horns. Sorry I didn't get a chance to ask him anything, but did observe that, although he seemed to move quickly in the water, he was having to work for it. A very wide flutter kick.

That's really odd, I dive them exclusively, and none required any substaintial effort, nor to they require a wide kick. The way to use them is with a real freestyle flutter kick, maybe 12 -16 inches at most. The type of kick is completely different than a standard paddle fin where the power comes from you thigh/knee joint, the force fin uses the power of the thigh/hip joint. There is very little or no work involved to make them produce big speed, not to mention I have to ability to scull and maintain position (great for camera work) and even move backward.

I have 2 pairs right now, 1) Extra Force Tan Delta, and 2) the new Military SD-1 fin (only available to military). I love them both, Bob Evans really hit on something, its too bad that most of the diving world isn't ready for them. I had a pair of Pro Model Force Fin (these are the ones that I used for the below testing), but a friend borrowed them for a dive never gave them back.

I have done multiple test with them, against the Dacor Black Tigers, and Apollo splitfin, Atomic Splits, and Mares Plana Avanti Quattro. The force fin won in every category that I came up with (speed, air consumption, comfort, and hovering abilty).

Speed was easy to measure, simply kicking down a 50meter pool underwater for time, did this over about 3 days, in different orders to make sure that previous efforts were not affecting my results.
Air Consumption was not as easy, I did a series of dives at the same site, measuring time to use 2000psi. I know this is very subjective, as there are so many environmental conditions that will affect air comsumption, but it was the best I could do, I also did my best to ensure that the dives were as similar in speed and profile as I could. The FF topped everything, but the Apollo Bio-fin was really close, the others were not good at all. I want to quote times for you, but I don't remember for sure, I want to say it was 46 min with FF and 36 min with Black Tigers.
Hovering Ability was even more subjective, what I did, was to try and see how easy it was to keep myself in position while using my camera. I found the only fins that I could effectively scull with were the FF and the Plana Avanti. The others were completely ineffective at anything other than foward.
Comfort is unmatched, never once have I had a foot cramp, hot spot, blister or anything in FF.

The big problem with the Force Fins is that they are $$$. The basic fin in the Standard or Pro urethane are fantastic fins and from my testing were better than the other fins, but still MRSP is $150-180, comparible with other fins on the market. But the high end fins, ie the Extra Force Tan Delta and the Excellerating Force Fin are $350-$700. But for me, they are absolutely worth the money as I have been diving the exact same fin with no replacement part (no straps or buckles) for 10 years now with anywhere from 50-150 dives a year. I take great piece of mind knowing that I don't need spare parts and failures are just short of impossible.

For a more objective review of the fins check this out,
Navy Fin Study, I know that its on Force Fins Website, but as I said I have spoken to Bob Evans about this and he assures me that this information is straight from the FIOA (freedom of information act) and that he didn't muck with the information. In fact he was anoyned that they wouldn't release the names and models of the other fins as it would be highly prejudical to the other fins.

I hope that you found my review helpful, I have spoken with Bob Evans but I don't work for them, not sponsored by them and have no interest in Force Fin, except that I believe that they are the best fins on the market. Feel free to PM me and I talk for days about them.

These were my first fins I have ever owned, and I absolutely love them great amounts of power and the control with them is amazing, the only draw back is that I got laughed at everytime I used them, but this was mainly by ignorant people having never used them.

That being said though I recently switched to jets due to going the DIR route, but I am having a hard time givign up my force fins, ah well I guess I can always break them out when I am done the training.

Steve

meesier42,

Thanks for the info, as it clears up some questions I had, but didn't get the chance as I was not the Force Fin guys buddy on that dive.

I didn't laugh at the fins, but do remember thinking at the time that those are sure some strange puppies!

I, myself am more of the longer blade type and am thinking of going more toward a freestyle fin. I know that some are totally against these types of fins, but am a follower of DWW. 'Do What Works'

cheers

well I wish you luck,
I guess there is one piece of advice that I think I should pass on. If you get a chance to try, or own a set, give them a real chance, keep you mind open, forget what you are wearing and do 5-10 dives in them, THEN try something else.

Giving yourself the oppurtunity to get used to them takes more than 5 minutes. 5 dives will get you pretty close. By doing a series of dives with them you also forget all of you bad habits from the old paddle fins. And you'll realize how bad the old fins really were when you go back.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the one place that I found these fins suck, is on the surface. Kicking on your back solves the problem quite well, but trying to snorkel with them is terrible. They make a set called the Foil Force which is the original design of the split fin, prior to even the Apollo Bio-Fin, that claims to solve this, but as I have never used a set, and therefore I can not comment on the truth of this claim.

aaen:
These were my first fins I have ever owned, and I absolutely love them great amounts of power and the control with them is amazing, the only draw back is that I got laughed at everytime I used them, but this was mainly by ignorant people having never used them.

That being said though I recently switched to jets due to going the DIR route, but I am having a hard time givign up my force fins, ah well I guess I can always break them out when I am done the training.

Steve

What's the deal with that, why would DIR require you to switch to jet fins???

meesier42:
What's the deal with that, why would DIR require you to switch to jet fins???
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I have a girlfriend that loves her force fins, but she wears high heels in the jungle too.

I reckon they look rediculous, I personally didnt really like them when I tried them, but they have some very vocal converts, so I guess they must have some redeeming features for some people.

I have Force Fins Tan Delta models, after using Force Fins Pro models (that's what I'm wearing in the picture). I changed when I needed a larger size to fit my new drysuit. They are expensive. They are also different from every other fin I've tried.

Regardless of the main considerations, like how fast or efficient they are, there are several ways that they are a lot better than most other fins I've tried. They're smaller, and easier to pack. They're durable; they'll take being mashed in a dive bag, and spring back to the right shape. I have the bungee cord straps, and these are much easier to use than regular straps. They are very comfortable, both in how the foot pocket interfaces with my foot, and how my legs don't cramp when using them. They are easier to walk in.

Now, how do they work? All I can say is, every time I use them I like them more. At first I wondered what all the fuss was about. I did have to modify my kicking stroke. At first it seemed that they were real bad for snorkeling on the surface, but I don't really have that much trouble now. They go fast, they do a frog kick OK (despite what most people say!), they're much easier to go backwards with than my old fins, and they don't seem to kick up as much silt.

The main thing was sticking with them long enough to learn how to modify my kicking stroke to get the most out of them. Actually, I'm still getting better every time. The usual advice of "try them before you buy" doesn't work so well with these, because it takes so long to learn how to get the most out of them. With just one dive, you may think they're no good.

Well, actually, the main thing was justifying spending so much money on something I didn't know for sure was going to work, but now I'm glad I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom