Force fins and tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm seriously thinking of venturing into the world of technical diving, and I'm a bit confused with all the different fin types. I've seen a few tech divers with FF, but it seems that the majority is using the standard jet fin.

Bottom line - is the basic FF pro 'good enough' to take me thru a tech course or am I way off here? Will they provide required thrust to move a heavy set of steel doubles? Used to dive the extra force fin, but it was too stiff for my liking so I ebayed them and got a set of pros, and I like them a lot better.

If you can move with the power and precision required, go for it.

In the FF I have used, I felt like I was struggling to move in a drysuit + dubs (no bottles). YMMV/I dunno.

If it has anything to say I'd probably go with a IANTD adv. rec. trimix course or adv. nitrox. I know GUE are very clear on what gear they approve, is it the same route for IANTD?

Frogman82,
PRO Force Fins are a great Tech Diving Fin. A lot of Tech Divers use the PRO Force Fins.
hm_ffant_da.jpg

I would say the next most common choice is the Excellerating Force Fin.

To date I have not heard of IANTD not approving Force Fins and I am one of there instructors and when I hear about instructors or organizations that don't approve Force Fins I know they have never really giving them a try as it truly is the smartest way to move yourself through the water.

Good luck on finding the right Force Fin for you and your water activity the course you are planning on taking is good one. Here is to good vis and safe diving!

Both GUE and IANTD rules require you to perform the kicks, there is NOTHING against their use in from either agency. There are however instructors that aren't that smart and will not allow students to use them.

The fact remains, ForceFins are excellent for tech diving. You'll find their ability to move you through anything quickly and easily will amaze you. As shown in the above photos, and you can check out other world renown tech divers, such as John Chatterton and Jean Michel Cousteau and his entire Ocean Futures Society.

There are models that allow the new FF user to learn the back kick and frog kick quicker or more easily. The Original and the Pro are great fins, I would be remiss not to mention the Excellerator that is amazing and does a wonderful job with both of these kicks and would love to see just how tech divers like Hockey Force, the new evolution of the Excellerator

I've used Pro Force Fins for the last 8 or so years, including all my technical diving. That includes doubles and 2 stages, drysuit, wetsuit, wreck penetrations, fresh water, salt water, strong currents...

10/10... I love them :D

I've used Pro Force Fins for the last 8 or so years, including all my technical diving. That includes doubles and 2 stages, drysuit, wetsuit, wreck penetrations, fresh water, salt water, strong currents...

10/10... I love them :D

Do you find it difficult to perform the required kicks such as the back kick with the pros? I think the main issue would be to get the instructors to approve the use of force fins though.

Do you find it difficult to perform the required kicks such as the back kick with the pros? I think the main issue would be to get the instructors to approve the use of force fins though.

No issues with the kicks. Once you get the 'feel' of the fins, you can achieve all requirements.

I've never met an instructor that didn't approve of force fins. Is this a GUE issue?

At least here in Norway you can forget to show up in a gue class with force fins (and split fins). As a matter of fact I think the instructors would laugh at me if I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom