Force fins and tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there should be no question about the ability of the fins to perform the kicks, the problem is the instructor. Learning the kicks that they require takes time, learning to use ForceFins takes time, combining learning the new fins and trying to learn the new kicks at the same time will prove very difficult. Then you combine that with the fact that the instructors have no idea how to teach the kicks using fins that they have absolutely no understanding of, well you can guess where that will lead.

would love to see just how tech divers like Hockey Force, the new evolution of the Excellerator

Those (hockey) are the ones I used in doubles (Bob loaned me a pair).

I felt almost impotent; it was very difficult to move.

For some people they are probably great. For my diving (slow deliberate kicks), not so much.

Blackwood, your testing and others, including my self made me decide to change the hardness. I will see them later today, out of town. Ready for another try? Best, Bob

Blackwood, your testing and others, including my self made me decide to change the hardness. I will see them later today, out of town. Ready for another try? Best, Bob

I don't know if it's the hardness or the area. I'm used to a pretty wide paddle (jet). But sure, I'd give them another go!

(to anyone considering FF, I applaud Bob for the passion he puts into his product - it's his art, he loves it abs he stands behind it)

Those (hockey) are the ones I used in doubles (Bob loaned me a pair).

I felt almost impotent; it was very difficult to move.

For some people they are probably great. For my diving (slow deliberate kicks), not so much.

I've done significant testing of the Hockey Force with the Jet. The reality of the testing showed that the Hockey Force moved on average 1.4 times the distance per kick (frog kick with a self proclaimed expert frog kicker, aka GUE instructor, although he is an excellent diver) and had better fine motion control (macro camera positioning, maintain fixed focal distance in a crossing current). You don't want to know the difference in lifting power and speed, but it was pretty one sided. Yes, they feel very light compared to the Jet, but their ability to outperform the Jet isn't based on feels different

I've tried FF once and the only thought I remember having was, They gotta be kidding.

Ever since, I have wondered why someone would choose FF. Given that several elite divers of naval forces use them, there must be something about them. Or so I thought.

Only recently, someone had an answer that made sense to me: Seals like them because you can run up the beach without taking them off.

Yeah, flame me. :wink:

Force Fins feel different the first time you use them - no question about that. They do require a slightly different kick from what most people have been using. There is a definite learning curve to getting the maximum performance from them.

Making a judgement after using them one time is like driving a Ferrari one time when your usual vehicle is a Mustang - the feeling is different so you really don't appreciate or realize the Ferrari's capabilities until you log several laps.

I never flame the ignorant - just try and educate them. :wink: :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom