Force Fin Designs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had been diving in Jet Fins since they first showed up in the US. Working at Dive N Surf in 1968 for Bob and Bill Meisirell, Scuba Pro Jim Christiiansen ( Big Jim) CHRISTIANSEN, "Big" Jim sold me my first pair. Spent the next 20 years + diving in them...so I used the foot pocket as a base. With molding clay shaped the up curved wing tips. The pattern board helped to eye ball the over all shape. I was housing sitting at Hillary Hauser beach house on Fernald Point, Santa Barbara. Have a good Friday.

Attachments

• a-45-clean-resized.jpg
    a-45-clean-resized.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 174
Proudly showing the first half of my Plaster of Paris mold. The curved back side of the red molding clay is exposed. After this photo by Eleine Hyde home I cast the other half. Then I seperated the two halfs of Plaster of Paris and removed the red molding clay and got the mold ready for the first hand cast of Poloyurethane. 28 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara Late 1975 or so.

Attachments

• ff-2-fw.jpg
    ff-2-fw.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 173
Another view of the back side and the upper section now cast in Plaster of Paris. Note location pins (round tips). Note curved backside. Green waxed with several layers to help seperate the two halfs after this photo was taken. The red clay is really smooth and ready to be emtombed in Plaster of Paris. 28 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara, California.

Attachments

• forcefin-97.jpg-fw.jpg
    forcefin-97.jpg-fw.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 164
Another view of the back side and the upper section now cast in Plaster Paris. Note location pins (round tips). Note curved backside. Green waxed with several layers to help seperate the two halfs after this photo was taken. The red clay is really smooth and ready to be emtombed in Plaster Paris. 28 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara, California.
It’s Plaster of Paris - not Plaster Paris.

Well,, when I went to pull apart my Plaster of Paris mold ....it did not budge!!!!. Nothing like breaking " out of the Mold ". Hammer time, while Elaine Hyde looked on. Had hoped to pour another fin. I had not understood how Hygroscopic Plaster of Paris was, even with the wax release. In front of my film company La Mer Bleu Productions I was so proud. The first PolyUrethane swim fin made. 1980. 28 Anacpapa Street, Santa Barbara, California

Attachments

• modl_1.jpg
    modl_1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 158
  • mold_2.jpg
    mold_2.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 154
  • bob-force-fw.jpg
    bob-force-fw.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 163
Well,, when I went to pull apart my Plaster of Paris mold ....it did not budge!!!!. Nothing like breaking " out of the Mold ". Hammer time, while Elaine Hyde looked on. Had hoped to pour another fin. I had not understood how hydroscopic Plaster of Paris was, even with the wax release. In front of my film company La Mer Bleu Productions I was so proud. The first PolyUrethane swim fin made. 1980. 28 Anacpapa Street, Santa Barbara, California

Hygroscopic not “hydroscopic”. Quite a difference. :wink:. Cool post.

I was having a hard time shaping the up curved wingtips. I could get one looking good and then try to match the other side...and then go back to the other side, while the molding clay wanted to droop down. One day I left the model near Hillary Hauser Beach house window. That did it, both sides dropped down like a Guillotine with the sun rays. I came back to a problem that solved my wingtips. They now lay flat and I could make a pattern to correct shaping. Then once it all looked good I lifted the wingtips up and started making the Plaster of Paris mold...wait till you see what I did next....

Attachments

• kk-19-fw.jpg
    kk-19-fw.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 169
  • ff-29.jpg
    ff-29.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 149
Today it would take so much less time with a 3D printer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom