For Women: My stupid question of the day . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the hardest lessons for me in diving was that it really IS a buddy sport -- it's okay to ask for help, as long as you are trying to do as much as you can. To this day, I have to grit my teeth to ask for the hand I often need getting out of the water. But it is what it is, and doesn't seem to make anybody not want to dive with me.

(Only the Borg Queen avatar did that)

2. The responder above who recommended lighter tanks had a good idea. You may want to look at an aluminum 63 cu ft tank, or even a steel 72 tank. Here is a site with a matrix on it containing specifications for many different types of scuba tanks. The eighth column over from the right gives you a relative weight in lbs so you can compare one tank's weight against another:
Diver Discount Catalog-Scuba Equipment,diving gear,spear guns & scuba diving equipment

Doc

Thanks for that link. I've got in the habit of using the table that Huron Scuba put together (downloadable as an excel file). Huron's is more extensive and details differences in manufacturer, but there's no metric data, so the metric information in your link is welcome.

I have found the only difference is where support is worn, and drysuit mechanics.

I would however steer clear of striving to become one of the boys or one of the girls.

I'm a guy, but my wife & daughter are now both divers.

IMO it's OK to ask for help, but there are limits. Those vary depending on who you're asking.

Strength is not fixed in stone. You *can* handle a basic single tank scuba unit. You may need to start hitting the gym regularly to build up some strength, but on balance, being in better condition is generally better for diving any way. Wish my daughter (age 21) would take that more seriously, LOL

Diving, swimming with fins, uses muscles that you generally don't use. They tend to complain about it after wards, unless they're somewhat conditioned to it. When I haven't been in a while, my legs will let me know later. The more frequently I can go, the less I feel the impact as those muscles get used.

My daughter wears a bikini, she's rather tall & skinny. My wife wears a one piece, ore a pair of form fitting swim shorts with a lycra dive skin shirt. I wear form fitting swim shorts, as I don't like loose one bunching up under my suit. O'Neil, Henderson & others make such attire.

Welcome back to ScubaBoard BettyRubble...

Wayward Son, I agree that we need to do as much as we can physically do - and then work out to increase our strength. It's a fine line we walk. I want to be as independent as I possibly can be - but even the stronger divers need to have someone grab their tank to stabilize them and walk them back to their seat while the boat is moving in the choppy seas. It's SUCH a weird feeling for me - it's like having a nurse walk me to the bathroom after surgery (yeah, I know it's an odd comparison). All I want is to be able to do it on my own, but I know that for my safety and the safety of the other divers I need that help. That said, we have a leg press machine in our basement that we're digging out to build up some more leg strength. :)

Welcome back to ScubaBoard BettyRubble...

Pssstt, Em....

I know I'm a year late weighing in on this topic - but I just joined yesterday and it's a great thread for me!

Wayward Son, I agree that we need to do as much as we can physically do - and then work out to increase our strength. It's a fine line we walk. I want to be as independent as I possibly can be - but even the stronger divers need to have someone grab their tank to stabilize them and walk them back to their seat while the boat is moving in the choppy seas. It's SUCH a weird feeling for me - it's like having a nurse walk me to the bathroom after surgery (yeah, I know it's an odd comparison). All I want is to be able to do it on my own, but I know that for my safety and the safety of the other divers I need that help. That said, we have a leg press machine in our basement that we're digging out to build up some more leg strength. :)

Even us guys need some help from time to time. Don't sweat it too much if you need the occasional help. That's part of the reason for having dive buddies! :)

Boat dive and don your gear in the water.

This takes all the weight off you and is quite easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom