For Women: Lavacore or Sharkskin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second post. I use a Lavacore. I have bust to accommodate. I use a man's size. Much better fit. Possibly a little long in the arm but not so's you'd notice. I found the size chart for the man's was accurate.
As per previous post - I feel the cold. Some years ago I tried combination of 2 mm inside and then outside a 3 mm shortie. Got really miserably cold. In desperation dived in the 2 mm only (stuff called Daleks) and found it warmer. As the guy on the boat said, discomfort or restriction can take away a couple of degrees. I have since made colder dives just in a 2mm or Lavacore and an ordinary hiking fleece under the Lavacore (plus bonnet) and although I can tell it's a bit cold, I don't get that gnawing chill.
If I'm uncomfortable, I get cold. And that includes any of the other gear from mouthpiece to booties.

I thought Sharkskin was bought out by Bare? I have a Sharkskin jacket, which I love; it zips up the front which makes it easy to don and doff. I'm not busty, though, and I don't feel like there's much extra room in the chest, but you could leave it partly unzipped. I wouldn't describe it as quick-drying.

My Sharkskin dries better than the Lavacore I've used.

I've also put my Sharkskin over top of my wetsuit. I was just as warm, perhaps even more so than trying to get it underneath my wetsuit.

My partner and I use a few different lavacore garments and have been quite happy with them. Quality is good and they seem to retain their insulating properties wet or dry, and I like the fact that they are neutrally bouyant. Sometimes I dive with them underneath my 5 mm wetsuit on cool water dives (70-ish degrees F) in cold weather, but more often I wear them to and from a cool water dive when the weather up top is also cool but not freezing cold. (I do a lot of freshwater diving year-round in a springfed lake). Don't have a lot of experience with sharkskin products, but my impression of them is positive.

Love my Sharkskin

Maybe a zippered neoprene vest instead? Easy on and off. Only about 1lb buoyant.

There are cheap Chinese vests on Amazon. I have a Lemorecn vest (the Department of Silly Names was working overtime) and it's fit for purpose.

Here's the women's version: https://www.amazon.com/Lemorecn-Wet...rds=wetsuit+zipper+vest&qid=1600459507&sr=8-3

An even cheaper option that appears to be the same thing with a different logo is here: Amazon.com: EYCE Women's Wetsuits Top Premium Neoprene 3mm Zipper Diving Sailing Snorkeling Kayaking Vest (Blue & Aqua, X-Large): Clothing

I would also advocate for something like this vest & possibly a pair of neoprene shorts under your wetsuit as well.

I'm a male (if that matters) and I often wear neoprene shorts to the dive-site instead of standard men's swimtrunks for additional warmth and because it's easier to get in & out of wetsuit. There are many women's neoprene shorts. As a bonus, if you wanted to go for a quick swim without a full wetsuit, and were wearing your vest & shorts, you don't get nearly as much of a shock when you first jump in. The downside of the neoprene shorts is they do not breathe & get rather humid after about 45 minutes out of water, although you could always wear something under the shorts for changing. I've worn them several hours (wet) just fine, but they are a persistent slight annoyance when wet.

The sidemounting.com instructor is a big fan of a "hooded vest." It provides an extra layer around your head, where the most head-loss occurs, and prevents or slows any water seeping in around the neckline between your wetsuit and hood. The one he recommends is quite expensive (above $100) but I could try looking it up if you're really interested. (edit: I think it was the "lavacore" brand that he likes, because it's neutrally bouyant).

I dont know if you wear a hood or not. I dive with a 3mm and noticed I was getting cold in 78 degree water. Went to the local dive shop and bought a thin hooded vest (I have lot of hair), and it worked like a charm! Much warmer now with the same wetsuit. Just a thought.
This is interesting! I also struggle with my hair and I'm looking for just a touch of extra warmth...going to Philippines up to 4 dives/day. I'm wondering if a "Bare" or Sharkskin type hooded vest under my 3 ml would be ideal?

I have some sharkskin and some lavacore. I love both. Neither dries quickly at all. Good to check out both mens and womans to see what works best for you.

Any vest is a great easy layering piece for extra warmth.

I have a Sharkskin jacket and a Lavacore vest(I will one or the other with my 3 mm wetsuit). Not crazy about either of them. They take a long time to dry; when applying wet the next morning, I was cold again. I have a 5 mm Waterproof brand wetsuit. Sadly, with the hips spreading outward, it is a total sh!tshow trying to zip up. I had to look at an alternative the next size up. Missing my Waterproof wetsuit.

I used to feel the cold. A neoprene dive bonnet gives me at least another degree. As easy as that. Don't get a tight balaclava - that will be uncomfortable and doesn't work as well. A neoprene cap or bonnet but be prepared to cut a couple of holes in the top so that air bubbles don't accumulate and pull the bonnet into a pixie pointed hat.
Yeah i added a few holes on top to limit head buoyancy 🙂.

This is interesting! I also struggle with my hair and I'm looking for just a touch of extra warmth...going to Philippines up to 4 dives/day. I'm wondering if a "Bare" or Sharkskin type hooded vest under my 3 ml would be ideal?
I put my hooded vest under my wetsuit. The one I have is a little lose, and by putting under my wetsuit, it keeps the water exchange to a minimum. Given how light it is - I would bring it on any trip because with 4 dives a day, you are going to get cold, and it doesn't weight much.

Back
Top Bottom