For those of you who use a rebreather, Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't started my nitrox training yet, a prerequisite before CCR training. My Inspiration is supposed to be in around mid to late May.

There are currently 2 Inspiration's on E-Bay.....

Originally posted by DrySuitDave
I haven't started my nitrox training yet, a prerequisite before CCR training. My Inspiration is supposed to be in around mid to late May.

There are currently 2 Inspiration's on E-Bay.....

I think you will enjoy the class that Rusty teaches.. The ANDI csu class will probably take about 12 hours.. Learn your Po2's well its a valuable tool for a ccr diver.. Since you will be using air as you diluent for your CCR, memorize the PO2s for every 10 feet (or practice doing the math in your head), so you can do a diluent flush at any depth to check your sensors..
*hint* for every 10 feet the the pressure goes up by approx .3 which is close enough, just don't foget to add 1 at the end..
for example 130fsw = 13*.3 = 3.9+1=4.9, I'd round to 5(a better method is to have 1 of your depth guages in meters, all you have to do is move the decimal place 1 to the left and add 1), so I know my PO2 is about 5*.21= 1.05, If I dive mix at depths shallower than 200, I use 20% o2 which makes things a bit easier. deeper than that I usually use 10% o2. If I have another mix I write the Po2s on my slate so I don't have to think about it..

Nope. The rebreather predates SCUBA

Nope. Rouquayrol and Denayrouse designed and built open circuit Scuba (a rebreather is closed circuit Scuba) in 1865. However, open circuit did not become commercially viable until Cousteau's patent dating to just over 50 years ago. The rebreather is in the same historical position that the aqua lung inhabited at that time; an orphan invention which is now being refined and promoted, and whose time has come.

I know the last response to this was about a year ago, but....

according to the book "Mastering Rebreathers" by Jeffrey E. Bozanic, p.19..

"Giovanni Alfonso Borelli is credited with having proposed a rebreather....."

This happened in 1680.

Well I guess I have to chime in here as the first SCR diver to respond. And as I have encountered for quite some time, CCR divers don't understand why anyone would want an SCR versus a CCR. So I am not going to try and convince anyone one way or another. Choose the unit that works best for what you are doing and one that you can have confindence in, that at the end of the day you will be home happy and safe.

Choice of a rebreather is based on need, reliability and safety. For what I do, an SCR is perfect, safer and highly reliable. I get a gas extention ratio of 8:1 so if I carry 80 cuft of gas, it is like carrying 640 cuft of gas (only lighter and a heck of a lot less bulky). It is extremely quiet, only a small overboard discharge about every 60 seconds or so (depends on my breathing rate) and I have no problem with the unit scaring sea critters. The only piece of equipment that causes enough noise to scare any critters is the power inflator to my wing.

If I need a greater gas extension, I can carry stages that will easily plug into the RB that once again I get the same 8:1 extention ratio with. I have more than enough bailout for my buddy and myself to make it home. And I have a scrubber that on average gives me 10 hours, and could go more if I choose to dive it that long. DragerSorb is cheap, so I don't bother to test my outter limits on the scrubber time.

The gas is moist and warm to breathe, providing me comfort. The unit is simple to assemble and maintain. It does what I need it to do and safely. I can drive the RB with any gas mixtures I need, so it is highly versatile as well.

CrazyC
Halcyon RB80

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom