For the Women...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM...honestly, I can't remember if they were hard or soft weights (it was about 5 years ago), but I just remember how sore my hips were after the dive.

JodiBB:
The problem with a weight belt for me is I have those womanly "child birthing" hips that are all bone and no padding....when I've tried the weight belts in the past, they bruised my poor hips...the integrated means was a huge relief to my poor body.
An idea? [thread]17578[/thread]

The nifty thing about the Zegale integrated weights is they are a one hand, right hand release, just like a weight belt.

I didn't like weight belts because I got brusied and they never seemed to stay put.

Try as many styles, types as you can and get what YOU like.

Have fun!!

JodiBB:
The problem with a weight belt for me is I have those womanly "child birthing" hips that are all bone and no padding....when I've tried the weight belts in the past, they bruised my poor hips...the integrated means was a huge relief to my poor body.

I see that you are nearly as tall as I am, and seem to have the same concern for the blue hips too! So here goes another developmental curve.. I was 100% I wanted integrated weights when buying my system because I have fairly narrow waist, and belt with weights kept going carousel around me, and ending up banging my me blue even through 7mm suit.

So I got my TransPac and bought their Transweight system. All would have been well if the pockets weren't so tall and wobbly that with the little weight I needed (with steel tanks) they were dancing around creating a lot of instability. So I looked into other methods of avoiding belt and having 'semi-integrated' system ... and ended up getting XS-Scuba pockets. Someone already mentioned their weight belt but I only bought their singular pockets. They just thread onto regular webbing and work just fine. You can use as many pockets as you need (one only takes 5lbs max) or can fit on your belt (usually the limitation). You can also use same pockets on tank straps. Very simple function and cheap! No bonking on bones any more especially if you use soft weights, integrated enough and the pocket can be removed from the waist if not needed.

Unless you need a huge amount of weight, you could look into that option too. It's a viable option with any BC that has a regular 2 inch webbing for a waist belt. If you need to hand weights off to boat crews a lot, then it might not be such a desirable option because this pocket does not have an inner pouch.

JodiBB:
I should also mention that I definitely want an integrated weight system...I've dove with the weight belt and with an integrated system...I will never go back to a belt!!!
I dive with a weight harness instead of a belt. The integrated pockets in my Ladyhawk won't hold enough lead for my drysuit (28 lbs) and the harness puts the weight on my shoulders. I just wish it adjusted a little smaller so the weights would be tighter against my waist, they hang about 5 inches from my body when I'm horizontal.
Ber :lilbunny:

28# doesn't fit in the ladyhawk? that's how much I carry in mine.... 2-4 lb. bags in the back, and 10 in each front.

I read my book and it says you can fit a total of 30lbs in the BC.

Instead of a weight belt you can try a DUI Weight and trim harness. It's basically a vest that holds your weight. I agree that the weight integrated vests are too heavy to lug around, but I take my weights out when moving it and put the weight in just as I'm ready to put the kit on. I have moulded weights (not bags) that are curved to fit in the hips. I can easliy remove them when suited up. But a DUI harness would help with a lot of issues. Works like a weight belt so you can position the weight where you need it AND keeps your BC a little lighter. Check with your LDS and see if they will let you try one out. --Heather

Back
Top Bottom