for the metric impaired

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
He didn't seem to mean either one or at least didn't explain the meaning. LOL

Base 4 would be 0, 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 20

However...10 base 4 = 4 base 10 because...the least significant digit is 4 to the 0 power and the second is 4 to the 1st, the third 4 to the 2nd and so on.

I've never actually seen base 4 used though only bas 2, 10 and 16.

I've used base 8 as well on occasion, though not for a long time.

I could believe base 5, because it's a natural extension from the number of digits on one hand. Can't imagine where a base 4 system would develop in a non-technical setting.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't. : )

miketsp:
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't. : )

Heh, I don't remember who, but that's someone's tagline on the board. Never realized how badly which of the 10 I was until I had to re-explain subnets and supernets to the rest of the class after the intstructor went home, some years ago.

Not all conuntries that use metric drive on the left side of the road. AND if you think about it even the American money system is based on 10 which is sort of like metric. 10 pennies to the dime 10 dimes to the dollar

Diving here in Guam with both American & (mostly) Japanese divers, I get to use both metric & imperial all the time...and ask divers which they prefer...and try (ha ha) to make sure they get rental regs with the "correct" gauges for them. A bit off the subject, but I taught fish farming/aquaculture in Fiji back in the 80's in the Peace Corps, (or "Peace Corpse" as the Fijians pronounced it) and one of the things we needed to do was determine "production" from a particular pond...basically, how much fish weight was produced per unit of area per year. Since we did everything there metric (fish in kilograms and pond size in hectares...which is 100 meters by 100 meters) I could get a pretty accurate estimate just calculating it in my head. If I had to do pounds & acres, no way could I have done the multiplication in my head.

Back to the subject (sort of) have to watch American divers when they get metric gauges....if you're not careful, you'll have somebody think "oh, I'm only 40' deep" when they're actually around 130' (40 meters).....or another thing I've seen them do....a full tank is normally about 200 bar or 3000 psi...same thing, just different units. So a diver will signal 100 bar with a 1 0 0 hand signal. Once in a while an American will signal 1000 psi the same way 1 0 0 forgetting to add the last zero, indicating they have 1/2 a tank, when they REALLY only have 1/3 left. Have to keep an eye on them!

cancun mark:
I know that there are a couple of divers out there that come from a small country between Mexico and Canada, that could use some help,

How dare you attempt to muddle our confusion with common sense? :06:

Don't you realize out esteemed leadership of this country spend many millions of tax dollars trying avoid having any common sense in our laws? :wink:

miketsp:
There is a nice set of values for sea water density on
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/EdwardLaValley.shtml

and then you can use the formula
height water column (m) = 101325.01/(density x 9.8).

Just don't forget if you want to go deeper you need to compensate for depth and temperature.

Um yeah, cause I can do that math at 100'. Or 30-ish meters.
Who are we kidding, I can't do it at the surface. :p

Scubaguy62:
That will be the day that we, in the U.S., start driving on the wrong side of the road and the steering wheels will be on the passenger side. Cops will make more money for the state since most everyone will be doing 60 on a 35 :eyebrow:

No No!! We drive on the wrong side of the road :wink:

That i've got to put my hands up too!!

As a "european" ok Brit who dives a lot with American Buddies and often is the only one working in Bar and metres I find myself naturally calculating the conversions in my head but you should see the horror on my buddies face when I forget and signal I have 100 bar left and am still at 30 metres oops.

Do you know why you nose isn't 12 inches long?

Because then it would be a foot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom