For the bearded divers / Scubapro D-Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Diablo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a quick post regarding the 'new' Scubapro D-Mask.

I was looking to prepare for some deep dives in Madeira island and decided to check my gear including my trusted (3d version now) Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin. IMO one of the best masks ever made and especially for those with short to medium facial hair. The problem is that as I was trying the mask without the strap to check for leaks, I could feel fresh air rushing from the left side no matter how much I wiggled it (I have grown a considerably longer beard).

Therefore, I begun searching for an alternative - meaning a mask with a silicone skirt soft enough to make a seal against my face (and especially the moustache) - in order to mitigate the need for silicone grease, bees wax and shaving under the nose.

The solution: The UBER expensive Scubapro D-mask (size M - for normal head size people). After some careful positioning and adjustment of the strap (it doesn't stay put easily without a hood because it is made like a ski google strap with some silicone strips on the interior) I could shake my head violently without any issues.
Just my two cents for anyone in the same situation as me.

Also, if you need 'console reading' new tempered glasses, Scubapro offers them from +1 to +3, no graduation in between and unfortunately you loose the UV coating.

Like I stated many times already, mustaches don't mean a thing (yes, I have them!). For the water to get in, the air needs to get out, and if the air gets out, it does this through a leak somewhere at the top or sides of your mask. Maybe you have to trim your eyebrows?

N
Like I stated many times already, mustaches don't mean a thing (yes, I have them!). For the water to get in, the air needs to get out, and if the air gets out, it does this through a leak somewhere at the top or sides of your mask. Maybe you have to trim your eyebrows?

No, I definitely think the leaks are from my chest hair but thanks for the tip.

It is expensive! I use a Mako mask, but I do shave just under my nose an 1/8". I've grown to not like the full broom effect of my unshaven mustache, so it works. This is especially important on my rebreather since any leakage is a real pain in gas management.

It is expensive! I use a Mako mask, but I do shave just under my nose an 1/8". I've grown to not like the full broom effect of my unshaven mustache, so it works. This is especially important on my rebreather since any leakage is a real pain in gas management.

Its very expensive indeed. I bought it in Germany for 120€ (that is 2.5 times the price of the Mares it replaces).
However, both my Liquid Skin masks are 15-20 years old and still going strong so with good care, this mask will probably outlast me... :wink:

I can't imagine the hassle of having a moustache with a rebreather.

I can't imagine the hassle of having a moustache with a rebreather.
I can't imagine the emotional scars I would give others if I didn't hide part of my face! :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom