For Sale- UW Towed Video System (Homemade system used for finding scallop beds, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I built this system several years ago and used it to find scallop beds. Then sold my boat.... :(

System includes an extra camera that could be kept ready as a "drop camera", etc.

$150.00 or make offer. (That's less than what the cameras alone cost.)

You will need to further test the suitability of the LCD monitor for daylight conditions, as I have only tested its compatibility to display the cameras' video signal in indoor conditions.

Thanks for looking! Post your questions please and I'll be happy to openly discuss, inform, debate, defend, capitulate, and/or negotiate price. I'd like to see this thing get some use! :D

Dave C

Pics and specs follow.

DSC02915_Text_Flt_R1000_2.jpg

Camera can be lowered by 3-wire cord alone or in conjunction with a downrigger system as shown here off Cape Ann, MA in 65 to 95' of water.
P7120007_ACt_R1000.jpg

Capability and Performance-

• This unit was used successfully to find productive scallop beds off Cape Ann, MA. It would image the bottom features and marine life with adequate to good contrast (imaging tested to 95')
  • Pressure-tested to over 200', but actual operation was less than 95'
  • Imaging with ambient light was still adequate at that depth (bright, midday sun, 20' visibility)- Did not test the imaging with supplemental lighting, but the 0.0003 lux camera is very capable even in dim light, so a dive light added to this system would enhance it further
  • C-shaped stabilizing fin keeps image stable and viewing angle steady. Fin's shape also deflects and sheds lobster trap lines that might be encountered on retrieval.
  • 7" LCD monitor has only been tested briefly and contrast and viewability have not been assessed in bright daylight (I previously used a power inverter and a 110v 13" TV as a monitor. The TV was placed in a plastic garbage bin that had a viewing port in the lid. Created a super hood for viewing the image)

Description and Specs of main components-

• 0.0003 lux B&W 12v video camera with pvc housing and 1/4" plate glass lens
  • 0.5 lux B&W 12v video camera with pvc housing and 1/4" plate glass lens
  • Galvanized steel camera housing brackets with viewing angle adjustment holes
  • 1/16" aluminum C-shaped stabilizing fin (allows adjustment of viewing angle for vertical and horizontal axes- can be set to view at an angle to line of travel)
  • 12v 7Ah battery in good condition
  • Charger is an APC Back-Ups Pro 500
  • AC adapter for testing system
  • 12v voltage regulator and polarity protection unit
  • 80' of 16g 3-wire extension cord retrofitted with cyclindrical plugs that allow sealing with bicycle inner tube and hose clamps
  • (a second such cord is available, if desired)
  • Axion 7" LCD monitor (12v portable DVD player with RCA ports for video signal input) (also has AC adapter, but will need conversion jack for using battery power)
  • Electronics and battery housing made from plastic 13-gal wastebasket with battery tray, viewing window, switches, etc)

Mode of operation (typical)-

• Slow drift (less than 1 knot minimizes lift)
  • Set angle at approximately 30 to 45* downward angle
  • Bounce weight off bottom and raise it up to get desired height off bottom, depending on visibility
  • If a view to the side is preferred, such as when motoring slowly around the perimeter of a target area, use the thin bungies to hold the camera bracket at the desired angle

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Dave....Did you make this from "scratch" or is it a kit? Either way neat Toy!!!

Thanks, it definitely was neat not to waste a dive in an unproductive area.
04.gif

I built this system from scratch, but used mostly borrowed ideas, of course. I'm pretty good at stealing ideas and improvising. :rofl3:

Good "board cameras" were obtained from SuperCircuits and were simple to set up. 3-wire cord carried the video signal nice and clean, too.

Security Cameras | Video Security Camera System | CCTV Video Surveillance Systems

The most fun was figuring out some good solutions along the way, such as learning how to cut out 1/4" plate glass lenses, creating a circuit board for voltage regulation/polarity protection, and creating a useful fin design and camera bracket.

It was fun, but it gets no use anymore. I'm hoping to move to Florida in the next year or so and I need to lighten my load, so I'll be posting ads to get rid of my DIY scuba tank tumbler soon, too. And some HP steel tanks, regulators, drysuit, etc. Only going to keep enough to keep me diving.... I'll miss my "hoard".....

Dave C

Last edited:
I really want to see this system get some use, so the asking price is now $125.

Always glad to hear offers, of course.
icosm14.gif

Dave C

Did you make this from scratch Dave?......I would love this thing.....but am very poor at present....Teaching is fun but to start bad $$$ sorry thought i didn't post

Last edited:
Did you make this from scratch Dave?......I would love this thing.....but am very poor at present....Teaching is fun but to start bad $$$

Yep, from scratch, as I explained above.

Yes, money is tight all over. Keep watching. The price will be coming down steadily unless someone stops me! :D

Dave C

Asking price of this video system is now lowered to $100.00. Would much prefer to sell to someone local, like an NELD member.... :D

By the way, I'll soon be listing my homemade scuba tank tumbler with 46lbs of aluminum oxide media and miscellaneous related equipment, degreasing solution and anti-oxidant, etc.

AND I'll be selling my drysuit (DUI CLx450- size Large). (Keeping my TLS350, though.)

Maybe some combination of stuff might make it worth the trip to the Keene, NH area! :wink:

Ads coming soon. Thanks for looking!

Dave C

Price drop: Now $90 or make offer.

Won't go much lower before I put it on eBay, but I'd prefer to sell local, even at lower price. So make offer. :D

Dave C

The battery described above is giving some signs of aging performance or condition (charger is giving a warning beep occasionally). Performance has not been tested recently and is therefore unknown.

Another price drop: $80 or Make Offer.

Dave C

Item is no longer available, but thanks for looking! (Given to a good friend who will provide a caring home.... :))

Dave C

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom