For Divers that Like to Eat. Who has the best food?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the Cayman Aggressor we enjoyed a week where the chef on board was a CIA graduate. The food was spectacular - every meal.

This was about 8 years ago, though, and knowing the turnover on these vessels, I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be in the fleet anymore.

All the best, James

I'm doing research for an article about divers who like to eat. Are there any foodie/epicureans out there that have had awesome diving on a liveaboard AND fabulous food?

We all have wonderful food and great diving Julie......thats why we are still in business.......lol

Not really. Good food, but not spectacular. Damai and Dewi Nusantara both had good food, but working in very remote parts of the world from a food locker that has to last 10 days in a tiny kitchen limits what can be done. Best food I have had diving was at Black Sands in Lembeh - followed by Divers Lodge Lembeh. With respect to Black Sands came off a liveaboard trip where the food was acceptable but not something to look forward to, to meals that were very very good both from a presentation point of view as well as taste and interest. A very pleasant surprise. Helps when you can go to the market and select what is fresh that day. Divers Lodge Lembeh was more of an introduction to good Indonesian food. Was quite a while ago, but I do recall dinner as something to look forward to.

Are there any restaurants that offer exceptional (or any) diving? If I want to eat good, I go to an appropriate restaurant. I'd be more interested in what live-a-boards offer good diving but crappy food.

Three years ago we did a week in the BVI on the Cuan Law. Great diving and spectacular food.

Interesting question, but I think you could narrow it down further. What I have found interesting is the menu selection, knowing that you will be diving within 60 minutes of each meal; making several flavorful dishes for hungry divers who seem to eat more than normal (or maybe that's just me :wink:) that is won't upset your stomach when you diving an hour later. I found all the liveaboards I've been on make a big effort to offer good food, the Aquacat and Cayman Agressor were a little better than the others, and offered a seriious variety every meal so you had options.

The last Blackbeard cruise I was on offered several exceptional meals when we caught the main course. There just isn't any way to top really fresh-caught snapper, dorado or lobster :)
The rest of the fare was always plentiful and tasty, if a bit plebeian...
Rick

If there are, they're probably on the Four Seasons Explorer (Maldives) boat - they have a link to Dining before Diving on their website - Cruise Food & Dining | Maldives Cruise | Four Seasons Explorer - only small liveaboard I've seen that advertises it's wine list.

Or the Gauguin dive cruises. Dining | Paul Gauguin Cruises

Maybe Pelagian also. The Wakatobi Dive Yacht - The Pelagian - Wakatobi, Indonesia

no personal exp. with any of them. (yet)

julieofthesea,

i was on a liveaboard in the maldives where most of the food we ate was caught that morning.

the food on the mv pelagian was good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom