For cigar lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakeybrainsurgeon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
One advantage of going to the Caribbean is, after the diving, I can smoke a real Cuban cohiba. However, I think I was ripped off in the Caymans --- the Cubans didn't taste right and i suspect some were counterfeit.

In the US I prefer the dominican red dot cohibas, although the macanudo gold leaf and helix cigars are pretty good and much cheaper (by two-thirds).

Any cigar lovers out there, and have others suspected that some of the Cubans we have been paying for may be fake???:confused:

I always buy my Cubans from Canadians who arrived from France.

I guess we all got our hopes up when Castro became ill. I also recently found out that the embargo crosses borders. My daughter tried to buy cubans for me in Paris and the shop keeper asked to see her passport. When he saw she was american, he wouldn't sell to her...:(

shakeybrainsurgeon:
I guess we all got our hopes up when Castro became ill. I also recently found out that the embargo crosses borders. My daughter tried to buy cubans for me in Paris and the shop keeper asked to see her passport. When he saw she was american, he wouldn't sell to her...:(

He probably thought he was doing her a favor, probably fearing she would get caught trying to "smuggle" them back to the U.S.

I have friends who make cuban cigars in Mexico...

I guarantee they were fake. Even the real ones are mostly fake....

I had a few cubans in aruba that were excellent, so there may be some real ones out there. Supposedly, after the revolution, the cuban cigar industry relocated to the dominican republic. Thus, the dominican cigars may really be the true cubans, although they say the soil/climate of cuba can't be duplicated. The tobacco of cuba may be unique, like the grapes of France, but the technology of cigar making has suffered under castro

shakeybrainsurgeon:
I had a few cubans in aruba that were excellent, so there may be some real ones out there. Supposedly, after the revolution, the cuban cigar industry relocated to the dominican republic. Thus, the dominican cigars may really be the true cubans, although they say the soil/climate of cuba can't be duplicated. The tobacco of cuba may be unique, like the grapes of France, but the technology of cigar making has suffered under castro
Some time ago, after a several years of smoking cigars from various south American countries, I had a chance to stay in Barcelona for a month. Apparently, at that time, Spain was the number one importer of Cuban cigars in the world, so I had tons of choices...

I bought my first Cuban cigar along with some cheese, a loaf of bread and a nice Red Rioja Wine. After finishing up my meal, I lit up and strolled across the wonderful plaza. After several minutes, I began to sweat and feel disoriented, dizzy. I had to sit down.

I attributed it to the strength of the Cuban cigar, but I have never been quite sure...

shakeybrainsurgeon:
One advantage of going to the Caribbean is, after the diving, I can smoke a real Cuban cohiba. However, I think I was ripped off in the Caymans --- the Cubans didn't taste right and i suspect some were counterfeit.

In the US I prefer the dominican red dot cohibas, although the macanudo gold leaf and helix cigars are pretty good and much cheaper (by two-thirds).

Any cigar lovers out there, and have others suspected that some of the Cubans we have been paying for may be fake???:confused:
I smoke 1 - 2 cigars a day (hope my wife is not reading this...!) and live in the fake Cuban cigar capital of the world (Miami).

I think you take a chance anytime you purchase a Cuban cigar from any source - the chance you take is that it will be terrible; even if its "real" - bad tobacco, bad construction, too lose, too tight - its a real crap shoot.

I've gotten away from Cuban's because even if you get a real one, a good one - you can pay $15 - 30 per cigar in the Carib., with no assurance of quality. (A few years ago in Toronto, in a place I would swear was legit, they wanted $35 CI per cigar!!! I'll quit first).

That said, 6 years ago I bought 3 Cohiba robusto's at the airport in Grand Cayman on the way to Little Cayman - the first one was one of the best cigars I ever smoked in my life - still remember it. The other 2 - from the same box - were terrible; unsmokable; had to be thrown out. Too much money to gamble; plus I think cigars from the Dominican, Nicaragua, Honduras, vastly more consistant and much cheaper - my everyday brand is La Gloria Cubana Series R #4 or #5 maduro - $5 - 6.50 per cigar); I bring my own when I travel.

( Also, the one's you mention liking in your post are mild - very well made, but mild - most Cubans - not all - tend to be more full bodied, so you might not enjoy even a well made one if your taste runs to mild).

If you want to try a few Cuban's make sure you buy from dedicated sources - avoid gift shops that may have a box or 2, even if they have a humidor in the shop; obviously never from vendors on the street, etc.

In Cozumel, for example, the cigar store on the main drag in town is a dedicated cigar store, but if you go in the humidor its WAY too moist and the place smells musty; moldy even - I'd never buy from there, for example - plus you could squeeze the moisture out - their cigars will never stay lit, in addition to the other possible problems you encounter with Cuban cigars.

Happy smoking!

Be aware that in gov't stores in Havana, Cubans can cost from $250 - 650 a box - so beware the $5 "bargan; it does not exist.

jagfish:
Some time ago, after a several years of smoking cigars from various south American countries, I had a chance to stay in Barcelona for a month. Apparently, at that time, Spain was the number one importer of Cuban cigars in the world, so I had tons of choices...

I bought my first Cuban cigar along with some cheese, a loaf of bread and a nice Red Rioja Wine. After finishing up my meal, I lit up and strolled across the wonderful plaza. After several minutes, I began to sweat and feel disoriented, dizzy. I had to sit down.

I attributed it to the strength of the Cuban cigar, but I have never been quite sure...
Very likely unfermented, poorly cured tobacco - the strength of the cigar is possible, but even if it was "strong" you should not have had that type of reaction - likely you smoked a cigar that was improperly cured happens, sometimes, even w/ non Cuban's

In my opinion, Dominican Opus X will give the Cuban Cohiba a ride for its money.

IG-Dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom