For all you cluey computer people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like to create the following: somewhere to put images of creatures from my dive plus text detailing creature, location, depth, size, behaviour.

I would like to be able to do a search in this creation: like critter name, date seen, location etc...If I could add video as well as pictures, that would be perfect.

Is there a program out there that will let me do this more or less easily? I don't mind spending time getting it set up and to work, but I would like to end up with something that doesn't take hours after every dive.

Thanks.

alcina man you think like i do for org of pictures, but your asking for alot. if you have a photo edittor(PS, PSE) you should be able to enter items into the EXIF header, if not look on the internet for a program named EXIFER to do that. the only bad thing is that you cant put some of the information you want into the head that your asking for.

im always looking for software to make my organizing easyier but yet to find it i just do it by the old folder system and then just name items by event, that or put the event name and details in the files name

hope this helps

Tooth

Scubatooth:
alcina man you think like i do for org of pictures, but your asking for alot. if you have a photo edittor(PS, PSE) you should be able to enter items into the EXIF header, if not look on the internet for a program named EXIFER to do that. the only bad thing is that you cant put some of the information you want into the head that your asking for.

Tooth

Thanks - every bit of input helps. Hmmm...OK...can't believe there isn't some sort of database system or something out there.

Perhaps I can create some sort of template in PhotoShop that has a photo on one side and fields for info down the other? I doubt it would be searchable...but maybe I will have to live without that for right now? Would this work or is there a better way?

alcina:
I would like to create the following: somewhere to put images of creatures from my dive plus text detailing creature, location, depth, size, behaviour.

I would like to be able to do a search in this creation: like critter name, date seen, location etc...If I could add video as well as pictures, that would be perfect.

Is there a program out there that will let me do this more or less easily? I don't mind spending time getting it set up and to work, but I would like to end up with something that doesn't take hours after every dive.

Thanks.
There is a great program called Extensis Portfolio. This program allows you to enter all kinds of data and seach thru your pictures by using the key words that you entered. The cool things is that it will store thumbprints of your pictures and the path to where you have them stored, even if you have them on a CD.

I have all my pictures on CD. If I need a certain photo, I just look in my portfolio and can grab the right CD without any hassle.

You can also use your windows explorer to enter any desired info in the properties. Grouping photos in files (according to creatures, by date, deepth, you name it!) and then by giving your photo a title, such as the name of the creature etc. That way every thing will be stored in a nice orderly fashion. Then you can use the photo title when searching with your windows explorer search engine.

Hope this helps.
Aloha,
Lisa

PS: The attachment isn't all that clear, but I hope you can see what I mean.

justleesa:
There is a great program called Extensis Portfolio. This program allows you to enter all kinds of data and seach thru your pictures by using the key words that you entered. The cool things is that it will store thumbprints of your pictures and the path to where you have them stored, even if you have them on a CD.

You can also use your windows explorer to enter any desired info in the properties. Grouping photos in files (according to creatures, by date, deepth, you name it!) and then by giving your photo a title, such as the name of the creature etc. That way every thing will be stored in a nice orderly fashion. Then you can use the photo title when searching with your windows explorer search engine.

Thanks for this! So I have to have Extensis Portfolio to enter the info in Windows Explorer as above, correct? Where do I get Extensis Portfolio?

Second question - can you print out the image (or show it on the screen) with the entered info listed next/above/below it?

OK...I think I have a rough template saved in Photoshop- it's not pretty, but maybe I am on the right road. BUT each time I try to put a picture in, the picture is in black and white - not colour! HELP!

Hi alcina,

I use Adobe Photoshop Album to store all my photos. It's available online for US$49.95. You can also download a demo version which will store only 200 photos IIRC.

You add photos either from existing files, or import them directly from your camera or scanner. It doesn't matter what directories / folders you store them in, as it keeps its own orginastional structure. Photos are displayed using a timeline, and filtered using tags. You can define your own tags / sub-tags and assign them to all your photos, as well as storing the EXIF data, and any other searchable notes.

For example, I have a tag called Friends and a sub-tag for each of my friends that appear in my photos. As with my Family tag. I also have a Sports tag with a Diving sub-tag. And an Animals tag with Fish/Shark/ etc etc. Plus a Holidays tag with a Maldives 2003 sub tag.

Now if I want to find that picture of my sister diving next to a shark in the Maldives, I select "Sister, Diving, Maldives, Shark", and I will only be shown pictures matching those tags (either matching all of them, or any one, depending on how I select them).

You can also easily create VCD slideshows or web pages, or export selections of photos quite easily.

justleesa

im aware of thise program but the last time i looked at that this program was very expensive, and was missing alot of features i was looking for EXIF look up and editting and there was one other thing that i dont remember as its been a year since i looked.

mainly the program im looking for needs to have the following requirements.
-search-by date(Year month or Day), Camera, EXIF header info, user defined information, etc
-have no limitation on number images stored (unlike adobe PS album)
-auto rotation in viewer
-slide show capability - limitable to user defined entry (IE UW, or Events, Shoots, etc)
- support RAW files (all makers) and be able to vieew them

Run on Windows NT or higher, or Linux in a server enviroment with no storage limitations as the server(data) im building will be 1.5 TB min and more if Western Digital comes out with 500 GB JB drives in the next year.

other abilities.
rapid back upabilities - similar to norton ghosts drive clone, and linux Tar ball set up, as i wont use RAID as there are to many potential problems of data loss if a hard drive died.

i will have to go find the document with the program requirements i was looking for

machine details im building (late 2004)
Case - Antec SX 1500
PS - 550W Redundent Antec supply
CPU:AMD (proven in a server enviroment, and better then Intel(IMHO)- probably opteron or FX 64
Motherboard - single processor not going to be doing enough to need a second
RAM 1 GB (maybe 2) of the fastest DDR i can find (probably Mushkin brand)
Gigabit ethernet card
rocket 404 - 4 channel IDE controller
hard drives: 12 Western Digital 250GB JB drives (will use 500GB if they come out to lessen the need on the IDE controller. (this is only the storage array, main hard drives will be 36GB raptors for main HDD and 1 for a scratch drive)
1-Master DVD drive (Reader only)
3-6 - DVD Burners (Sony Super Drives- this will be because this system will also be my master burner for doing mass copies of DVD/CD's for projects that require this, which for me is happening more and more with flash slide shows and VCD/Slideshows i build for people)

Froop-- unfortunately PS album is a program that was a good idea but poorly done as it cant view RAW files at all, and that the album is also limited on the number of files it can support and i would max it out in about 45 days based on what i shoot in the average day. Adobe needs to stop pumping programs and focus on what they do best PS and PSE and the other programs for photo editting not this album that they put out(2 versions of it in less then 6 months because of so many bugs)

Tooth

alcina:
Thanks for this! So I have to have Extensis Portfolio to enter the info in Windows Explorer as above, correct? Where do I get Extensis Portfolio?

Second question - can you print out the image (or show it on the screen) with the entered info listed next/above/below it?

Aloha Alcina,

Nope, these are two independet ways of storing your pictures. You should have explorer, so that could be something you could try first and see if this is enough for you.

If you want more then the extensis portfolio program is for you and can be purchaced online (I got mine on ebay for $60.-US), I even think they have a trail program you can DL for free. New the program costs about $199.- US.

To answer your second question:
For the MS WINDOW EXPLORER:
If you have it set so that you can view the thumbprints the title of the photo will be under the picture and when you hover the cursor over the picture a small box will appear with the data you entered (If you wrote a lot, it won't show everything). When you click the thumbprint with the right mouse button the properties will appear with your data that you entered on the summary tab. this view can be moved around so it is positioned next to the thumbprint. If you view the picture with the windows photo and fax viewer (larger view) you can also call up the properties.

For the extensis, let me take a couple of screen shots to show you the possibilities. BRB

Lisa

Lisa -

Thanks for all this!

Any ideas on how to make the image not black and white?? This is what I have done.

Opened a new page in PS to the size I wanted, white background.
Opened image I wanted in PS and resized it.
Clicked image, dragged until I got the little + sign in the newly created white background. It turns black and white!!

What I am trying to do it create a page that will have a picture and some details printed side by side. I have the text set-up and can easily enter my new text. Just can't get the image right. That's all the farther I am on this side of the project. If I could get a print of the image and details from Explorer, I don't think I would have to mess with this AND I would be able to search!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom