For all the medical professionals out there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TartanFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got OW certified only a few months ago. When I did that the water was warm enough to wear a swimsuit and a rash guard. This past weekend I took a bouyancy class and spent a couple hours of each day in a pool.

After each day of diving I immediately showered at the pool. However, on Sunday evening and more intensely on Monday I noticed an itchy sensation across my arms, legs and chest. Pretty much anywhere the suit was in contact.

Over the years and with many injuries, I like challenging sports, I have found that I have sensitivity to medical tapes and other things like that. I develop a rash localized to the area that was taped.

So, the questions are... Is it possible to have an allergic reaction to the neoprene? And if yes, what actions can I take to prevent the reaction?

Thanks for your help! I really do not want to give up diving because of something like this...

... Is it possible to have an allergic reaction to the neoprene? And if yes, what actions can I take to prevent the reaction? ...
Yes, it's possible to have an allergic reaction to neoprene. You can wear a nylon/lycra dive skin under the wetsuit to keep it from contacting you.
That said, there are many other possibilities - especially in a swimming pool - that could be the cause of your rash, like combined chlorine, or pH too high or too low, or suntan oil off a fellow swimmer.
Rick

Hi TartanFrog,

Allergic reactions to neoprene proper are relatively unusual; hypersensitivity to curing agents used in neoprene processing and adhesives used in suit assembly is more common.

Assuming your wetsuit is new, you may wish to hand wash it with baby shampoo or a delicate laundry detergent and then allow it to air well until the next wearing.
Also be sure to rinse yourself well after a dive and shower with a gentle soap after the last dive of the day. You'll want to make sure that your reaction is not simply to some other offending agent, like chlorine.

If the rash occurs again, you can try wearing a Rash Guards | Rash Guard Shirts | RashGuard UV Protection: at JoeDiverAmerica.com underneath, although there is no guarantee this will work.

If you continue to have this problem, testing for neoprene allergy is probably next. This requires a specific patch test, so be sure to tell the allergist/dermatologist about your contact with neoprene and concerns when making the appointment. Since a neoprene allergy patch test is not always included in the routine testing procedure, the doctor may have to arrange for a more thorough battery.

If it turns out you are allergic, you can look into a wetsuit made without neoprene such as these Thermocline Neoprene Free Wetsuit : Mens : Fourth Element

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

You don't mention if the wetsuit was your own, or a rented/borrowed one.

If it was rented/borrowed, then practically any allergen could be present inside it - left by a previous occupant.

If it was your own, then you have control over what contaminates it. Is it new? Has it been used previously in chorine or saltwater? Was it soaked in fresh water to clean it? Do you use any powders (talc) etc? Did you use any detergents on it?

It could be many things. Firstly, you need to make sure the wetsuit is clean and decontaminated. Then you need to make sure that you are clean and decontaminated.

Thanks for the great input! I will wash the wetsuit with baby shampoo and also try a rash guard next time. I have never had a reaction to chlorine before but I guess you never know. If it occurs again after washing the suit and using a rash guard i will make an appointment with the dermatologists for patch testing.

I have also heard that an anti-histamine might work too. Any comments on that?

I've discovered a new allergy recently. I've never been reactive before. My fiancee (a doctor) gave me anti-histamine and they really made a difference.

Cause of allergy - Gallatissimo Chili Chocolate Gelato...... my favorite :(

I have also heard that an anti-histamine might work too. Any comments on that?

Hi TartanFrog,

As for antihistamines, yes, they are often useful in easing the discomfort of a number of contact skin rashes, but medicine generally proceeds from a diagnosis to treatment, at least as far as meaningful long-term treatment goes.

In follow up to DevonDiver's question, is the wetsuit you wore your own or was it a borrowed or shop suit?

I agree that the chlorine hypothesis is a long reach--I just provided it as an example of possibly offending foreign substances to which you might have come into contact. Your report of a history hypersensitivity to medical/athletic tapes does rather suggest that the problem is related to contact with natural or synthetic rubber-like compounds.

RE your "localized rash" that is "itchy." Can you describe it in more detail? E.g., any raised areas, bumps, blistering, oozing, weeping, crusting, cracking, splotchiness, discoloration. How has it changed since onset?

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

The wetsuit is new and is mine. It was the first time I used it. I had not considered washing the wetsuit prior to using it, so it may in fact be the glues or other materials used to put it together.

It is now 5 days post diving and the generalized itching sensation is gone. When the "rash" occured I had some raised bumps but none of the other symptoms you indicated. I used some "Benadryl" lotion on the areas affected and it eased the sensation.

When I have had reactions to medical/athletic tapes in the past there has been blistering and raised areas where there was direct contact with the tape. That usually occured after a couple of days of wearing the tape. After multiple knee and shoulder procedures I've learned to inform the doctors and nursing staff so they don't tape directly to the skin.

Thanks again for the information.

Back
Top Bottom