Football season starts tonight...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's still an interesting similarity between the 2007 Patriots and 2007 Dolphins... Both teams couldn't complete their mission... Aiming for perfection on both ends of the scales. :D

True, the upside is the Dolphins can only improve next season.

LOSER: Bill Belichick

His third-quarter decision to go for it on fourth-and-13 rather than kick a 49-yard field goal will be analyzed forever. His kicker, Stephen Gostkowski, was at the end but certainly within his range. A successful kick would have made the game 10-3 and, eventually, 17-17.

Even if he missed, the field position loss wasn't that bad (Giants' 31-yard line). Fourth-and-13 is about as low percentage as it gets, and for Belichick to make such a confused tactical decision seemed to help build confidence in the Giants.

WINNER: 1972 Dolphins

They remain the only perfect team in the NFL's Super Bowl era, their spot in history secure for, who knows, maybe another 35 years. If this Patriots team couldn't navigate the salary cap era's first 19-0 season, then who can?

And the '72 Dolphins remain the only perfect team in NFL history, how sweet it is!!!!

I thought you told me there was no way Peyton Manning would be at this year's super bowl...

I saw him on my TV yesterday... he was there... :rofl3:

I thought you told me there was no way Peyton Manning would be at this year's super bowl...

I saw him on my TV yesterday... he was there... :rofl3:

I stand corrected, Peyton did go to the Superbowl. It looked like he had awesome seats too!

His third-quarter decision to go for it on fourth-and-13 rather than kick a 49-yard field goal will be analyzed forever. His kicker, Stephen Gustoes, was at the end but certainly within his range. A successful kick would have made the game 10-3 and, eventually, 17-17.
This is a fallacy that continues and continues. IF the decision was to try for the field goal AND it was successful THEN there would have been a subsequent kick-off with a return. The rest of the game would not have been the same. The sequence of plays would have been different, the score would not logically have been 17-17.

The Giants would have won anyway.

Newsflash: ScubaBoard will be featuring Fantasy Football this year again for those so inclined. :football:

How it will be implemented is still being debated. :)

His third-quarter decision to go for it on fourth-and-13 rather than kick a 49-yard field goal will be analyzed forever. His kicker, Stephen Gostkowski, was at the end but certainly within his range. A successful kick would have made the game 10-3 and, eventually, 17-17.

Dude, it just happened last night.
Not quite.

Option 1. Kick a field goal and score. Result: score = 10 - 3 Patirots and a kick off to Giants. The Giants play selection would be different. Start point would be different. Time remaining would be different.

Option 2. Kick for the field goal and miss. Result: score remains the same and the Giants take over the ball at the point of the kick. Start point would be different I believe because the ball would have been placed at the point of the kick, not the line of scrimmage. A seven yard advantage. The Giants play selection would be different. Time remaining would be different.

Option 3. Go for the first down. Result. Reality that the Giants won.

I always have a real problem when folks look at one play in isolation. This is true for any sport. It really shows when a coach b*t*h*s about a call by the ref. Well, if only one player had made a catch instead of missing it; if only one player had not fell on the field, the outcome would be completely different. The only time when I can see the outcome would be true is if it were the last play of the game. Otherwise, there are too many other factors.

Not quite.

Option 1. Kick a field goal and score. Result: score = 10 - 3 Patirots and a kick off to Giants. The Giants play selection would be different. Start point would be different. Time remaining would be different.

Option 2. Kick for the field goal and miss. Result: score remains the same and the Giants take over the ball at the point of the kick. Start point would be different I believe because the ball would have been placed at the point of the kick, not the line of scrimmage. A seven yard advantage. The Giants play selection would be different. Time remaining would be different.

Option 3. Go for the first down. Result. Reality that the Giants won.

I always have a real problem when folks look at one play in isolation. This is true for any sport. It really shows when a coach b*t*h*s about a call by the ref. Well, if only one player had made a catch instead of missing it; if only one player had not fell on the field, the outcome would be completely different. The only time when I can see the outcome would be true is if it were the last play of the game. Otherwise, there are too many other factors.

I believe that is called O.C.D. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom