Food for thought about the island economy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question for those living and doing business in Mexico;
If you are in town and see a scarf you like or need for the sun, do you just pay the asking price?

Those living and doing business in Mexico have been hit just as hard by the lockdown as the retailers they will be purchasing from. They're essentially on an 'even footing'. We're coming down there because - like it or not, even if you're scraping and saving to get there - we have 'excess' they do not. I don't know what locals are doing, but I'm not going to haggle - I'll pay full price. There will be a time I will feel free to haggle again - and I drive a hard bargain. Now isn't that time (IMHO).

What about 'tipping' the police in a pandemic? I have heard a lot of complaints in the past about tourists running up the expected price by paying too much. Then they expect it from the locals who can't afford those rates.

Do we have pandemic guidance on that?

Reactions: BRT
I am going to Cozumel in January and I haven't decided on a dive op yet, but rest assured, my decision will be based recommendations and my own research, not on what the dives cost. See you all soon!

Very Well said Christi.....

Thank you Charlie and Kimela - both spot on!

we have 'excess' they do not. I don't know what locals are doing, but I'm not going to haggle - I'll pay full price. There will be a time I will feel free to haggle again - and I drive a hard bargain. Now isn't that time (IMHO).

What she said. They've lost 90% of their economy due to no cruise ships, and the latest word that we got down there last week was that they're not coming back until March of 2021, perhaps later. If that's accurate, the restaurant owner that told me that seemed to know what she's talking about. This is long term pain time, and time for those of us who can afford it to be uber-generous. I've been paying $20USD for cab rides that would normally be $5, extra tips for my divemaster, and full price on everything else. Hell, I even paid over $200 on Friday for a bottle of 18 year old sipping tequila. And I don't even like tequila! But my neighbor, who does, just scored a real nice Christmas present.

However, for those of you who think this is the time to "get a deal" .

Christie, thanks for saying what you did even though it's kinda sad that it needs to be said. Personally, I'm expecting to be paying a little extra for things on our next trip and won't be using those gift cards until things get better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom