• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Food for thought about the island economy...

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by Christi, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Kimela

Kimela Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Those living and doing business in Mexico have been hit just as hard by the lockdown as the retailers they will be purchasing from. They're essentially on an 'even footing'. We're coming down there because - like it or not, even if you're scraping and saving to get there - we have 'excess' they do not. I don't know what locals are doing, but I'm not going to haggle - I'll pay full price. There will be a time I will feel free to haggle again - and I drive a hard bargain. Now isn't that time (IMHO).

2. cvchief

cvchief ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    What about 'tipping' the police in a pandemic? I have heard a lot of complaints in the past about tourists running up the expected price by paying too much. Then they expect it from the locals who can't afford those rates.

Do we have pandemic guidance on that?

BRT likes this.
  3. NCBusguy

NCBusguy Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I am going to Cozumel in January and I haven't decided on a dive op yet, but rest assured, my decision will be based recommendations and my own research, not on what the dives cost. See you all soon!

Sallygirl, Christi and chillyinCanada like this.
  4. Sue Sue

Sue Sue Loggerhead Turtle

Very Well said Christi.....

Christi likes this.
  5. Christi

Christi PADI MSDT/Dive op owner ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Thank you Charlie and Kimela - both spot on!

Kimela likes this.
  6. newgentry

newgentry Nassau Grouper

What she said. They've lost 90% of their economy due to no cruise ships, and the latest word that we got down there last week was that they're not coming back until March of 2021, perhaps later. If that's accurate, the restaurant owner that told me that seemed to know what she's talking about. This is long term pain time, and time for those of us who can afford it to be uber-generous. I've been paying $20USD for cab rides that would normally be $5, extra tips for my divemaster, and full price on everything else. Hell, I even paid over $200 on Friday for a bottle of 18 year old sipping tequila. And I don't even like tequila! But my neighbor, who does, just scored a real nice Christmas present.

flyboy08 likes this.
  7. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Great White

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Christie, thanks for saying what you did even though it's kinda sad that it needs to be said. Personally, I'm expecting to be paying a little extra for things on our next trip and won't be using those gift cards until things get better.

8. Alan Perucho

Alan Perucho Garibaldi

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    This applies not only to Cozumel but any location that relies on scuba tourism to earn a living, especially third world countries.

WoodyLompoc and Kensei like this.