Follow-up to my last question....this one re: Hot Snorkeling Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

christygobar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What beaches would you recommend on the Big Island, Oahu and Maui for great snorkeling in shallow water? I got one recommendation for Kahalu'u Beach Park in Kailua from friscuba, but does anyone else have others?

Appreciated as always! Thanks!

on Maui:

Ahihi cove (very easy entry, right on the road in Kihei)
Airport beach (little more difficult if the surf is up, but lots of nice reef)
Honolua Bay (very sheltered during the summer months, long walk, and you need to swim halfway out to the mouth of the bay before the reef and clearer water appears, but quite nice snorkeling)

Can't remember the name of the place, but it is a state park at mile 5.5 on Alii drive south of Kona. It is very popular but for good reason. Two step imediately north of the Place of Refuge is also tops on my list.

On the Big Island: Kahalu'u Bay is awsome, Place of Refuge (Two Step) is also beautiful, but it doesn't get any shallower than 8 ft., I don't know what your standards for "shallow water" are. Place of Refuge is a bit of a drive south of Kona. There's one spot that the locals and guide books like to talk about, but I haven't been there myself: Kealakekua Bay, aka Captain Cook Monument is south of Kailua-Kona and is rumored to have the best snorkeling in the islands, bar none. It's also supposed to require a bit of a hike to get to. Here's a website that may be useful to you: http://www.letsgo-hawaii.com/snorkeling/kona.html

I like Three Tables on the North Shore of Oahu (just past Waimea Bay). Only do-able in the summer months, though. Lots of critters really close in.

on the big island there are many.

depending one what you mean by shallow, I would recommend Mahukona north of Kona. the depths there range around 10-20.

if you want real shallow, I would recommend the Kapoho tidepools in Puna, out of the way if your in Kona, but if you do any time in Hilo, probably worth it. the water never gets deeper than 10 ft, and is very protected.

Captain Cook memorial is nice, but drops off quick, and probably not worth the hike unless you enjoy hiking anyway (unless the swell is up, in which case it can be the only place remotely near kona that is doable). I have a tendency not to like the hike there, just cause if I spend a few hours getting to a spot, I don't want it to be covered with people.

Well my personal standards for shallow water are 20-30, but I'm a different story than my mom is :) Basically just something easy for her to enter from the beach and float out on.

I think you guys have given some great ideas for them to check into, so I'll pass them along. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom