Folding Snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hoping to get some recommendations on a folding snorkel that is currently available. The woman at my LDS (tech-oriented) spent about five minutes recommending her ScubaPro folding snorkel, then remembered that they aren't being made anymore. All they had available (to order) on quick perusal was one by Technisub. For the price, it seemed pretty flimsy to me. They don't have any in stock to see and touch and handle and play with, so I was hoping to get some feedback on folding snorkels that ARE on the market now.
Thanks

Tusa Hyperdry, Riffe Stable, Scubapro J tube, Mares Shogun J tube, omer-sub j tube, Oceanic Pocket snorkel from scubatoys.com just to name a few and I hope this helps.

This one is realy foldable.:D

SNK-13.jpg

I have the oceanic pocket snorkel. This works great for me. It easy easy to fold and put in my pocket. It is also more comfortable than others I have used.

I love my XS Cargo Snorkel: It stays folded and fits easily into a pocket. Ran me just 11 greenbacks at LP, which is my LDS.

XSSSCBS.jpg

-rm

I have a Tusa Hyperdry and it's a nice snorkel but I wouldn't really call it a folding snorkel. It just has a flexible bottom section (like many) but it's not that compact folded. Might do if you have really big pockets. Lots of people seem to like the Oceanic Pocket snorkel although it's not real compact folded either.

I have an Aqualung Snap rollup snorkel (same or similar to the one 300bar shows) and it's a pretty good stowable snorkel. It was discontinued but I think they were supposed to be coming out with a new version, which would hopefully have a better holder than the old one (which was ok but not perfect.) That XS Cargo Snorkel looks along the same idea too.

I also had an Apollo folding snorkel which I don't recommend unless they have changed the material since I got mine - the tube tends to collapse at the folds and not recover very well, even if you don't store it folded. Even though it is labeled a folding snorkel it doesn't stay that way by itself and doesn't come with anything to keep it folded, you'll have to figure out something for yourself.

The stowable snorkel, in theory, is a great idea. I have yet to come across one that is truely compact and still isn't so flimsy that even a small wave will fold it over. Sometimes even swimming too fast will fold them over. I see lots of Euro divers that keep a snorkel strapped to the leg, like a knife. If I need a snorkel, it's usually because the waves are big.

What a good idea! I have 2 aqualungs ones, one is wound like the above pix, the other is broken in the middle, haven't tried the wound one yet. Will next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom