Folding Snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've decided I need to get a folding snorkel which I can stow. LPro sells some for 20 and some for 30. Are they all essentially equal? I don't care about self draining - I just want a foldable tube with a decent mouth piece (I was given my current snorkel when I was 7 years old and it's served me well, but it won't fold!)

Cheers!

Hey Doc,

Here's a link to a recent thread with some opinions on the subject, and that thread has links to other threads.

For the most part, it sounds like they don't work very well, but I have no experience with 'em.

First make sure you understand the size of the "folding snorkel" so you know what it will require for storage, initially while you are diving and finally in your scuba closet where it may ultimately end up.

I've got 2. The scubapro folds once and is not much easier to store than a regular snorkel. If crowded in a pocket, the mouthpiece may eventually be damaged. I found an apollo folding snorkel. It is a soft tube that give you a few folding options and the mouthpiece is not as vulnerable to damage while stored. But, on the one I found anyway, the o-ring between the mouthpiece and the tube leakes a bit resulting in wet breathing. I'm going to replace the o-ring which really looks OK to see if that helps. But I'm afraid the problem is a seam on the hard plastic surface that has to seal with the o-ring but doesn't.

I carry a standard snorkel stored on my BP between the plate and the wing.

I went the Aqualung Snap route -- single tube like the Apollo. It worked well on a week in Utila, where I used it a handful of times for surface stuff (snorkeling to watch the fish). Rolls up easily, into a little holder that fits in the BC pocket

I also have an Aqua Lung Snap. Hardly even taking it along in a pocket anymore, though.

Works OK; a bit hard to clear and therefore breathes wet during extended snorkeling. But pretty much indestructable, since it's all flexible... no hard plastic to break.

--Marek

Any of them work well to make your time waiting on the surface for pick-up a bit easier.

In no way are they for "real snorkelling". Use them for their intended application. Pick the one that offers the best stowability and retention options.

They are for short time surface pick-ups in rough chop. Nothing more.

Then stick it in your BC pocket. Highly recommended.

I've used both of these snorkels. The folding Scubapro and also the Tigullio Zip Snorkel. Click here and here for information.

Both are okay for the short use to and from a dive site. For me though I prefer not messing about now on the surface and use one of the TUSA Platina snorkels. See here. This one detachs easily so if you know you don't need one you can get remove it easily from the strap! But not easy to do in the water.....

I have the sherwood Avid foldup snorkel. No problems with it at all, 90% of the times its in my zeagle ranger pocket, but when I needed it, it did its job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom