Foil Force vs. SD-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhuskins

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had the opportunity to test out a pair of Foil Force Fins this week. I must say, I am very impressed with them. They even performed well for surface swimming.

Compared to my SD-1 (which has the unfair advantage of being my normal fins), they are better in some ways and not so good in others.

Foil Force Fins are better than SD-1 when it comes to:
Surface swimming in Foils is MUCH easier with Foil. Foil Force Fins propelled me through the water much faster and easier. I would not have any fears of a using them to fight against a current. There is also less wear on my legs with them. They are a great fin for general scuba diving.

SD-1 fins beat out the Foils when it comes to:
Making minor adjustments in the water (positioning) is easier to do with SD-1. SD-1 is more adjustable so I don't have to get a different size fin when I dive warm water vs. dry.

I prefer the foot pocket of the Foil over the SD-1 as it gives me less of a "foot cast" look and feel. Fifty dives later, and LOTS of bending/crushing has not done much to soften up the SD-1 foot pocket. Since the SD-1 do not work well barefoot, I have had to resort to thin booties for warm water diving. I would be able to do without them in Foil Force Fins.

In the end, I will stay with my SD-1 for my photo dives. I don't have to move far or fast, but I do need to control my position and steady myself. I would seriously consider Foil Force Fins for my sight seeing dives. Anyone in my area have Excellerating Force Fins with batwings? I wouldn't mind comparing those as well. :blinking:

Anyone in my area have Excellerating Force Fins with batwings? I wouldn't mind comparing those as well. :blinking:

I have a pair, but I not really in your area, but then I don't have any diving here either. Seattle is the closest diving for me. BTW- this is one of the Excellerating w/batwings is probably the single best fin I have ever used. It is my go to fin for almost everything.

You could go up to my house in Ketchikan in Exchange for airing it out and saying hi to my Neighbours.

Doug,
Thanks for the feedback. They really are two totally different fins and as you have experienced have different functions for different types of work above and below the water. We really value the time you have taken and the insight you have given about your Force Fin experience! Thanks again!

sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i am very interested in the foil force model.
how good is it for under-water swimming ?
what kick styles are good for it ?
as a SCUBA diver and a free-diver (most of the time i go down to moderate depths but for big ones i use a monofin) that travels a lot i need a speedy fin thats not too big and not too pricy.

The Foil Force is an interesting fin, I think it is best suited for snorkeling more than diving. It has a very easy going kick to it and it has very good surface kicking performance. In general, I think the Pro Force Fin is a better diving fin as it has better overall control and responsiveness. Although the Foil is a fine fin for diving (I have probably 50+ w/mine), I prefer the Pro.

When it comes to free diving, I have been through lots of fins, everything from mass production fins, to hand laid fiberglass, to high end carbon (Leaderfins and C40), and a couple of mono's. For Bi-fins, I have found the best overall dives with my Extra Force. This is because I have found the I will achieve the same depths, but due to the lower workload I was adding about 8-10 seconds to a dive, for me I went from ~80sec endurance, to about 90. I also found the smaller size of the Extra (compared to the long blade C40's that I using) gave me an advantage when I was hiding about the rocks (diving in Hawaii) as their maneuverability was fantastic. That being said, the Pro Force is a reasonably good free diving fin as well, not great, but acceptable for sport/minor freedives (30-40' dives).

Ickis, Thanks for resurrecting this thread on the Foil Force. The Foil Force will be offered in the highest performance Poly-Urethane first part of 2010 only from me directly. The price will be real sweet. We plan to share stories on how we created our unique Split Fin design one year before the others. Going to be a good year

Back
Top Bottom