FogTech Questionnaire is out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is how the 25 responded on the important questions-(Note: some people did not respond to all questions.)

9. How long did FogTech® last?

All day or more__6__ 4 hours_9 ___ 1 Hour_8 ___ Did not work for me__2 __

10. Did FogTech® last more than one dive? Yes__9 __ No_5 ___ Did not try__9 ___

14. Think about your dive and other products you have used for fogging. How would you compare your vision with FogTech® as opposed to other products or nothing?

The Best__4 ___ Much Better__4 ___ About the Same__10 __ Worse__3 ___

15. Would you buy FogTech® advanced anti-fog for diving? Yes__15 ___ No__7 ___

This seems to mirror the earlier results. It looks like FogTech would be a good product for diving except for two caveats. Water solubility and waste. The waste is easy to solve. We sent out our single use towelettes for testing and people expressed concern about disposing of the towelette and wrapper. But for diving use we would suggest using the one ounce bottle which has less waste and much greater economy That bottle should cover 40 masks or more and costs $16 retail. The packets retail for $1 each. See www.fogtech.com for where to buy and pricing.

The solubility in water is a problem as enough water on the lens could wash the anti-fog away. Some of the users did report effectiveness even after the lens contacted water. Others said they started fogging immediately. Eye irritation was not a problem as we confirmed.

Again, thanks to all participants. Much appreciated.

Here are unedited comments for those who want to read over all impressions. I just pasted them in the order received:

>>I applied fog tech to the right lens, baby shampoo to the left and left part of the left lens with nothing. Both lenses fogged up during my surface swim immediately. I took my mask off, used spit in left lens, did nothing to the right lens (where fog tech had been applied) and rinsed – no fogging after this on either side. I found it to be about equal to 500psi in that rinsing the mask in the middle of a dive did not destroy the anti-fog protection, however fogtech is easier to apply and I would prefer it to 500psi, but baby shampoo and spit are basically free, and more convenient to use (compared to the wipes, a spray bottle would be the same convenience).

>> I used FogTech on 3 of my 10 dives and it worked better than the PSI 500. I had no fogging issues with it. Good product!!

>>I like the application of the product, not messy and do not have to
worry about cleaning my hands.

>>Keeping a mask dry is difficult (and not normal) at best. It is often impossible as mask flooding on entry is not uncommon when doing back rolls or giant stride. Thank you for the opportunity. I believe your product is not appropriate for scuba as a wet mask is the norm.

>> Outstanding product, can't wait to get more. Worked much better and kept my mask clear even after geting wet. Thanks for letting me participate.

>>Depending on cost, I would buy this product. I don't like the fact that a towelet and packet are used only once, and would prefer a bottle. I dove fresh water and would like to see if salt water had any other effect?

>> It works great for the first dive provided that you wet the towel first. one dive I think I over painted and it didn't really dry clear. One swish of water once I was in and it was fine. Easy to use and works well if you use it right.

>>Gene, I was very impressed with your product. I used the material on
two different masks for two different dives today. The mask I used on
the first dive, a Tusa Opera about three years old, generally gives me
little trouble with fogging when I use spit on the lenses. I had no
fogging at all during a 50 minute dive in 39 degree water. That success
persuaded me to try your material with a second mask, a Halcyon
frameless about 1 year old. That mask had been a disappointment to me
because I had never once used it that it did not completely fog over,
no matter what I tried or how carefully I washed it out. I applied the
fogtech per your instructions and took the Halcyon mask on the second
dive today. The dive was for 30 minutes to 80 feet at the deepest and
38 degrees at the coldest. I had no fog in the mask whatsoever. After
the dive i looked at the mask and I could see where I had missed
applying the fogtech material to the edge of the lens. That small strip
was completely fogged over, while the rest of the lens was clear. I am
very impressed with that result.

>>not because it isn't a good product, but because I am a disorganized person, I would never remember to carry it around with me, that is why I usually use saliva, I can't remember to bring anti-fog

>> On the whole a nice product. I would prefer to see it packaged in bulk in
liquid form just form an ecological perspective - less packaging and less waste.
The eye irritation I mentioned was minor and very short-lived after some water entered my mask - no more iritation than salt water/air in the eyes. Thanks very much. I wish you the best of luck. Please let me know if/when you decide to market FogTech to the dive community, and what the pricing will be.

>>Without more side-by-side testing, I would be hard-pressed to replace my current anti-fog product with FogTech, simply because in the very limited testing I've done, my current product seems to be more effective in a greater variety of environments.
Seeing at how well the product worked in the cold air, I would be tempted to see how this product works on my snowmobile helmet lens, since the ease of application is far superior to my current anti-fog product, which wouldn't work well on such a large surface area. Plus, the need to rinse off the product makes it inpractical in a helmet application, where FogTech is more suitable.

Note, the FogTech product did not seem to be effected by water on the lens, although it's difficult to tell given the limited testing.

Finally, while the individual application packets are probably useful for certain kinds of applications, I found them somewhat wasteful for my purposes. When I have dive classes, I can be diving 2-4 days/week, and assuming the product needed to be re-applied for each dive day (unknown), it would be nice if somehow the packaging would allow the product to be re-sealed/re-used at a later time. Something like a small zip-lock package would allow the user to use it on their lens, and then possibly re-apply it again later in the day/week due to the product becoming less effective due to use and/or being washed off.

>>_it works great as anti-fog and is easy enough to share with someone if they are wiping at the same time, but you dont get the full value out of each wipe (I try to get the MOST out of everything).. and with the bottles or gels, you dont have that empty packet to try and discard... and it does smear if you are not careful. it may have been how i applied, but that may mean you're application instructions will need to be very clear. right now, i say it works great to prevent fogging but with the gel working just as good and being a little easier to use, unless there is a significant cost difference, i would go with the gel

>>No, but I would buy it for lap swimming - I tried it for that and it was fantastic. I really like this product - while it is still there it workes better than anything I have used before, but it washes off the maks if you get a flood or remove your mask. If you could make it more persistent, I would never use anything else.

>>If there were some way not to have to dry the lens to apply this product, it would be great. Diving involves water. Lenses get wet. Once this happened, the product stopped working. However, when I applied it while the mask was dry, it worked great until the lenses got wet again.

>>I can’t say I cared for the packaging. Too much trash to have to throw away. A bottle of SeaDrops can stay in my BC pocket or even in my float, but if I used FogTech, I’d have to worry too much about cleaning up the packet and used wipe. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to try out this new product, I just don’t think I would use it for the reasons stated.

>>Was easy to use, went on easy, used it on multiple masks, and then reused the wipe the next day. Did not rinse mask between dives. Very satisfied with the product.
This was on a new mask that had nothing used on it before. It was straight out of the box. I usually use toothpaste to clean the mask before using it for the first time. I did
like the fact that all was needed was apply the anti fog and let it dry. If the price is right, and Fog Tech was available in my area, I would use the bottled anti fog. I am planning on doing another dive weekend on the 21st and 22nd of this month. I will compare it to 500 PSI on the same mask.

>>I really liked the easy application method. With drops you have to smear it around and then rinse the mask. I'm sure the rinsing contributes to un-even application at times. These drops are really nothing more than glorified baby shampoo. The wipes are nice, wipe on, wait a short time and dive, couldn't be easier. I still have some samples that I'm eager to try under more demanding conditions such as colder water temps, flooding mask with salt versus fresh water, high humidity etc. So far I'm impressed with the product.

themenz:
It looks like FogTech would be a good product for diving except for two caveats. Water solubility and waste. The waste is easy to solve.

FANSTASTIC ANSWER on the waste and I did not have a water solubility issue! You very well may have found a new niche

I was the one that tested it on the new mask. I used 500psi, my usual, on the same mask last weekend and I have to say that 500psi did worse, instantly fogged, on the mask than the FogTech. The dive conditions were really close to the same.

Since I still have a couple packets of FogTech left I am going to do a side by side test after the mask is cleaned well with toothpaste. I will try and remember to post the results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom